X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managing Categories and Subcategories

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
    Jim,

You might check that again, our latest Imports should handle those things without issue (PR7 and older didn't, PR8 and newer do).

But I'll talk to Dev to see if there's another way to assist in your workflow.
    Rick, the problem is not with the Import tool, it is trying to work within Excel to make the changes. I would be happy to send you the files and a project to try as you really can't understand it without actually doing it.
    Jim Sisk
    Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Rick, this would help immensely and should be doable with the current interface:

Add a tab to the category edit page for Sub Categories, which would bring up all the sub-categories assigned to that parent.
      (basically the same way it filters products)

Also, an open in new tab button would really help as well. (easier to keep track of where you are)

And by the way, I love that everything on the category edit page is on the page instead of in a bunch of tabs. This is a great upgrade.
      Last edited by jsisk; 12-31-14, 04:21 AM.
      Jim Sisk
      Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Hey Rick,

I read somewhere a month or two ago, that MIVA was working on a why to place the child categories under the parent categories, Like cascading columns left to right. I thought it said that would be released in 9.0001. If its there how do I find those settings. I have 6 shirt child categories for example under 6 different parents with very similar name. Any advice.

Thanks

Kevin
        www.automotiveworkwear.com

Comment

It's in there, click the menu button in the upper left and then the arrow to the right of the word Catalog.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

Hey Rick,

I know how to get to the category section. Menu>Catalog> Categories. The issue is I have 150 categories, some of which are 5 levels deep with very similar names. I was hoping the see the parent catrgory, and then either below or to the side all its sub categories, the then their children, etc. I need grouping. with now its just a list of categories, at to the right another column with info as to what category that category may be attached to. How can we group them together. Many times this is how we add delete or move products around.

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Don't click on the name catalog, click on the new arrow to the right of it (which didn't exist in 9.0000), it closely mimics the expandable cats from 5.5
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

Hello Rick,

Very cool. I did not understand that little arrow, thanks. And its very nicely done.

Good Job,

Kevin

Comment

Glad you like it
                  Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                  CEO
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Rick,

Tested the new fly-out menu and when you need to find a specific category, it is fine. If, however, you need to make multiple changes to a group of sub-categories belonging to a specific parent (such as adding or modifying the footers with parent category specific info) it is a real pain to click through 3 to 5 menu levels.

The Advanced Search function on the category page would work (since I see there is a field for parent category) IF IF IF, the search didn't reset when you hit the back button.

So both functions are great for looking at or finding a specific category, but if you need to edit all sub-categories belonging to a specific parent - it is very labor intensive and difficult to keep up with which category you edited and which you need to do next.

The inline editing function would be a solution if the field could be expanded vertically as well as horizontally.

The only solution I have managed to come up with so far is to do an Advanced Search under categories, search by parent, then cut and paste the code into a text editor, make the changes, then cut and paste it back into the field.
                    Jim Sisk
                    Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Working...
                    X