No announcement yet.

WANTED: USPS Ground Shipping Methods!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WANTED: USPS Ground Shipping Methods!!!

Originally posted by JFancett View Post
    I would second the vote for Fedex Smartpost. However 12x12x12 is the max size for Smartpost before dimensional pricing kicks in there.
    I was doing some testing on FedEx's website this morning and was getting the same price quoted for packages bigger then 12x12x12. Not sure where the price increase kicks in but from what I was seeing it was bigger then 12x12x12.

Comment

MTB2006 is correct. I was confusing with UPS SurePost. As long as you stay under 70 lbs and 130 girth you can use Fedex Smartpost and not be affected by dimensional weight pricing.
      Jason Fancett
      America's SPA-MART - "Where Spa Owners Shop SMART!"
      Check us out for all of your hot tub needs including spa covers, spa filters, spa chemicals and more.
      Miva Merchant forum users can use coupon code MIVAFORUM to receive $5 off your first order of $30 or more.

Comment

Thank you both, MTB2006 and JFancett, for the suggestions.

I might be wrong, but my understnaind is that I would have to apply to have this service available (FedEx SmartPost) and that I would need to ship a minimum of 50 packages a month through fedex to do that.

Any truth to that rumor? I unfortunately wouldn't be able to meet that minimum.

Also, last night and this morning I did a bit of research on the quality of service and it left me with several concerns. It seems like using FedEx Smart Post will add an average of two days to the shipping time compared to sending something by parcel post or FedEx ground, and complicate the the insurance claims process should something go wrong.

Also, there seems to be some discrepancy as to weather FedEx SmartPost packages can be given to your postal carrier or local post office, or whether they need to be given to a fedex location directly.
        Mark Romero
        ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ideally for MY situation would be if the Miva Merchant Endicia shipping module were updated so as to allow us to use Parcel Select, as the rate has already been negotiated between Endicia and the US Postal Service.

For example, if I use Dazzle (which is Endicia's desktop postage printing software), I CAN use Parcel Select to send packages.

But if I use the endicia module provided by Miva, unfortunately there is neither a way for customers to select the Parcel Select option, nor is there a way for me to print parcel select labels directly from Miva Merchant.

BTW: In most cases, Parcel Select is only SLIGHTLY less expensive than Priority Mail, but once you have at least one dimension of your box over 12 inches, it is MUCH cheaper. Once one dimension of your package is 12.1 inches or longer, US Priority Mail charges an oversize fee.

So I have my fingers crossed and am throwing salt over my shoulder that Miva will update the Endicia module to reflect Parcel Select rates and print out Parcel Select postage.

Pretty Please?

With sugar on top?
          Mark Romero
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark,

We're looking into Endicia Parcel Select, it was very convoluted so we skipped it, but we're re-evaluating it.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Hi ya, Rick:

thanks for the note.

I also should mention that it seems like the shipping Methods does NOT pull in methods that are assigned in the Endicia module, so I am guessing it would require a whole rewrite of the Endicia module...

For example: If I check Priority mail in the Endicia module, but I DON'T select it in the USPS Online Rate Calculation module, then Priority Mail WON'T be available as a shipping option when the customer gets to the choose payment and shipping options screen.

So it looks like it could be the proverbial can of worms...

I may have to use some kind of a static rate table module...
              Mark Romero
              ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mark,

Do you mean for rating? We're not even considering using Endicia for display side Rating (only for Labels).
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

@ Rick:
                  Do you mean for rating? We're not even considering using Endicia for display side Rating (only for Labels)
                  I understand.

Yes, ideally for us merchants, it would be great if rates were provided by the Endicia module. Just because by having a an endicia subscription, we are entitled to rates like the parcel select.

However, I understand that this might be difficult / a nightmare for Miva to even think about, so I guess it was just kind of a pipe dream...

Most likely, the easiest way to set this up is to use a static weight table by state module or something like that.

I've used the emporium plus module for something like that in the past and will probably reactivate it again.
                  Mark Romero
                  ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X