Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Tried the MMUI to CSSUI conversion tool yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Tried the MMUI to CSSUI conversion tool yet?

Dylan,

It really depends on your facility as a Merchant Integrator. If you are keeping the same look and feel, you COULD take a short cut and keep the basic MMUI HTML layouts, but even that can take a good integrator about 5 to 8 hours. HOWEVER. Many of the 'neat' features in CSSUI bases stores is dependent on the CSS/HTML of the CSSUI templates, so, each feature you want is going to take additional time to code in and get working.

Converting to a pure CSSUI set of templates is going to be a huge savings eventually (and probably sooner than you'd think). That would be a 15/30 hour job for a good integrator.

For an store owner who has some good HTML/CSS skills...i'd at least double these times. If not...ah...I wouldn't hazard to guess.

<disclaimer> I'm one of those 'people' who believe that Store Owners should *run* their store, not *code* them </disclaimer>
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce. Starting to think I'm just going to have to pay to get it all done. I think I can do it, but like you say, sometimes it's better to be running the actual business :)
      Dylan Buchfink
      The Mattress & Sleep Company
      http://www.tmasc.ca/

Comment

Yea, I'm pretty handy with cars too. Have completely torn down more engines than I care to remember...but I take my car to the shop to get its oil changed or to replace spark plugs now. (OK, maybe not the sparkplugs.)
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Just chiming back in to say I did it!! I followed the instructions on the video and the conversion tool worked great for me. The actual conversion process hardly took any time at all. Once the conversion was done to the dev site I had to spend quite a bit of time re-coding all of the product descriptions and category headers (mainly moving from table based html to CSS) and generally try to fit things into the Suivant theme. Once I was pleased with the dev site I was able to convert the live store and make all my changes in about one day. Very slick.

Feeling grateful for the conversion tool, the nice looking ready theme, and all the help I got along the way. Having a responsive website is a must these days and Miva had all the tools I needed to make that happen. Thanks Miva!
          Matt E.
          www.harpkit.com

Comment

Glad to hear it went well!

One thing to note though, especially if you are dependent upon organic search (i.e., google, bing):

Both of my sites that I converted to the suivant theme have taken a hit in organic traffic since I converted them.

I was surprised because one of my sites gets about 65% mobile traffic, while the rest of the traffic is desktop and tablet.

But instead of an increase in traffic from google, traffic is down about 5%.

:-(
            Mark Romero
            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did you annotate in analytics the actual changes so you can go back and determine if it was because of a design change or a content change? Becoming mobile friendly should not drop your organic search rankings, so see if those dropped. If they didn't, I'd keep analyzing why the searchers aren't clicking through.
              Best,
              Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
              Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
              Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
              pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Did you annotate in analytics the actual changes so you can go back and determine if it was because of a design change or a content change?
                Yup. I annotated in GA, so I am able to do an A/B comparison on referrals from google organic.

I am hoping that EVENTUALLY google will smile upon me and give me more traffic.

The MAJORITY of our organic visitors enter through our blog, and making the blog (a wordpress CMS) responsive about a year ago seems to have paid off in terms of traffic to the BLOG. Unfortunately, our blog visitors don't really convert into shoppers :-(

So I am hoping that google will take kindly to our ecommerce area being mobile friendly, too.
                Mark Romero
                ~~~~~~~~

Comment

I did a conversion last night on my dev site and it failed with a few errors. Sent in a ticket to Jim with screen shots.
                  Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
                  Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                  X