PayPal Shipping Address Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal Shipping Address Question

I have a question about the shipping information on PayPal orders. In our checkout, after the customer chooses all of their info in Paypal, it returns them to OCST. Here, we fill in all the Ship To fields with the info provided by PayPal. However, we want the option for the customer to update this information. I've found that the checkout process will not save new shipping data when the customer uses PayPal, even if they type in new information and it's submitted with the ORDR action. Is there a way around this? It's actually become a bit of a problem for us, and I assume I'm just overlooking something.

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Re: PayPal Shipping Address Question

I'm not clear if you want them to be able to save the info to their account you have stored in Miva or to simply make changes to the fields populated on the OCST by Paypal page upon their return to that page. If I remember correctly, the state, zip code and country fields are greyed out and not changeable by default. To disable this, go the the OCST page -> Items then search for Paypal. There should be an item called PaypalDisblAdr. Unassign that item and it will allow the customer to edit those fields.

At one time Paypal discouraged this, I'm not certain if they still do or not. Check with your Paypal rep.

If your real question was about the ability for the customer to save updated info to their account in Miva, someone else will have to chime in.

Mike Lewis

Comment

I want the customer to be able to make changes to their information once they return to OCST. We're not using the PaypalDisblAdr item, so the fields aren't grayed out, and yet any changes they make there only save to the Bill To fields. I've confirmed that everything submits properly, yet somehow once we get to the next page all the original PayPal shipping information is still displayed.

Josh

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the PayPal module, or if I need to change the way we're implementing it. As it stands, we get a decent number of orders from customers who think they've changed their shipping address on OCST, but it doesn't show up that way when they submit their order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Comment

Josh,

If you're using the PayPal Express module than you probably have the 'Use Customer's PayPal Shipping Address for Miva Merchant Orders' option checked in the Express tab under Payment settings. Once you uncheck that they should be able to use whatever they enter on OCST.
          Jim McCormick
          Miva Merchant Support
          866-284-9812

https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCormick View Post

Josh,

If you're using the PayPal Express module than you probably have the 'Use Customer's PayPal Shipping Address for Miva Merchant Orders' option checked in the Express tab under Payment settings. Once you uncheck that they should be able to use whatever they enter on OCST.
            Jim - In current Miva 10 carts, if this option is checked in admin, should the shipping address be set to the address provided by PayPal (even if previously set in OCST) and locked from editing regardless of how they got to PayPal (from the BASK link -OR- via the payment method dropdown on OSEL)?

Thanks,
            Paul
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ocpxc02 View Post

Jim - In current Miva 10 carts, if this option is checked in admin, should the shipping address be set to the address provided by PayPal (even if previously set in OCST) and locked from editing regardless of how they got to PayPal (from the BASK link -OR- via the payment method dropdown on OSEL)?

Thanks,
              Paul
              Having been dealing with PayPal for over 17 years, the customer's shipping address should always be what is obtained from PayPal. There are too many people out there scamming small businesses by hacking a PayPal account and then sending the merchandise to another address causing a chargeback to the PayPal account. The customer has the opportunity in Miva to ship to another address rather than checking the box that billing and shipping address the same. That info should all be edited prior to the customer hitting the Express PayPal button. If it isn't edited, then the shipping $ amount isn't going to be calculated correctly. I know with Etsy, if a customer doesn't change their shipping address in PayPal and then attempt to do a chargeback because they didn't get the merchandise, Etsy will side with the seller because they sent it to the address on file. The customer must take some responsibility in the transaction. The only time I allow shipping address changes in Miva is when it is obvious it is being gifted to someone. However, the PayPal shipping address is still the customer's billing address. You can also contact the customer to verify the information. That would be excellent customer service to do that.

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
              , owner
              Miss Kate's Creations
              [email protected]
              www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Kate View Post

Having been dealing with PayPal for over 17 years, the customer's shipping address should always be what is obtained from PayPal. There are too many people out there scamming small businesses by hacking a PayPal account and then sending the merchandise to another address causing a chargeback to the PayPal account. The customer has the opportunity in Miva to ship to another address rather than checking the box that billing and shipping address the same. That info should all be edited prior to the customer hitting the Express PayPal button. If it isn't edited, then the shipping $ amount isn't going to be calculated correctly. I know with Etsy, if a customer doesn't change their shipping address in PayPal and then attempt to do a chargeback because they didn't get the merchandise, Etsy will side with the seller because they sent it to the address on file. The customer must take some responsibility in the transaction. The only time I allow shipping address changes in Miva is when it is obvious it is being gifted to someone. However, the PayPal shipping address is still the customer's billing address. You can also contact the customer to verify the information. That would be excellent customer service to do that.
                I agree. I am trying to confirm that this is the design within Miva and what needs to be done to ensure this is enforced. I just had an example where we shipped it to a different address which I didn't believe was possible. Historically, I am very certain that this was enforced in our store. We've been on Miva since 2001 and have been using PP for a long time as well.
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ocpxc02 View Post

Thanks,
                  Paul
                  Paul,

If you're on v10 you should move over to the latest PayPal module, PayPal Commerce, which does not have that option. Every other PayPal module has been discontinued so we've stopped development on them.

https://docs.miva.com/paypal-commerce-platform

If you're still using the PayPal Express Checkout and/or Payments Pro that option still functions the same way. If you have 'Use Customer's PayPal Shipping Address for Miva Merchant Orders' unchecked than their shipping address can be changed.

Jim McCormick
                  Miva Merchant Support
                  866-284-9812

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCormick View Post

Paul,

If you're on v10 you should move over to the latest PayPal module, PayPal Commerce, which does not have that option. Every other PayPal module has been discontinued so we've stopped development on them.

https://docs.miva.com/paypal-commerce-platform

If you're still using the PayPal Express Checkout and/or Payments Pro that option still functions the same way. If you have 'Use Customer's PayPal Shipping Address for Miva Merchant Orders' unchecked than their shipping address can be changed.
                    Hi Jim -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will have to look into migrating. In the interim, will a properly configured legacy implementation prevent an order from having a shipping address that differs from the one PayPal registers as the ship-to for the order (either when selected via OSEL or checking out via PP button)? And, should I assume the newer integration prevents this as well with not even the option to deviate?

Paul
                    Paul

Comment

will a properly configured legacy implementation prevent an order from having a shipping address that differs from the one PayPal registers as the ship-to for the order
                      Yes, you also need to make sure that you have the PaypalDisblAdr item active on OCST which doesn't allow the address to be edited when the customer is on OCST.

should I assume the newer integration prevents this as well with not even the option to deviate
                      Yes.
                      Jim McCormick
                      Miva Merchant Support
                      866-284-9812

Comment

Working...
                      X