Making Payment with 2 credit cards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Payment with 2 credit cards.

A client wants to add the ability to make payments with 2 credit cards.

I don't know of any built in way, but though it might be possible for the customer to "Purchase" a customer credit. And then check out using the credit and another card to pay the balance.

Sounds pretty klunky, Has anyone done this?
    Ray Yates
    "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    --- Sir Isaac Newton

The foundations for split payment are built into Miva, if you look at the customer credit workflow, however no other payment gateway currently supports the Split Payment feature besides customer credit at this time.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

I think the problem would be "how do you handle cancellations, refunds and partial refunds. It would become quite a nightmare.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Just curious if anyone has gone any further with this. I have a use case where I would want to offer split payments, and like the idea of "selling" a customer credit, but how does the credit card company and processor view this type of transaction? For example, if I sold 2 $5000 credits, how would a dispute or chargeback work? I fear we could be at a huge risk of losing since there wouldn't be an exchange of goods at that initial transaction, but rather the customer credits would buy the merchandise. Even more scary how this would affect fraudulent charges.

Comment

Originally posted by mvasquez View Post
          Just curious if anyone has gone any further with this. I have a use case where I would want to offer split payments, and like the idea of "selling" a customer credit, but how does the credit card company and processor view this type of transaction? For example, if I sold 2 $5000 credits, how would a dispute or chargeback work? I fear we could be at a huge risk of losing since there wouldn't be an exchange of goods at that initial transaction, but rather the customer credits would buy the merchandise. Even more scary how this would affect fraudulent charges.
          I don't like that idea at all. You could implement Paypal Credit so they could buy on time without using credits. I've always assumed the credits were from a sale and a return to stock when there wasn't something to substitute the buyer. The business would get the money up front and the customer would be billed directly via Paypal. Usually anything over $99 can be paid with no interest for at least 6 months.

What does this particular vendor sell that they would want such a deal? This really doesn't sound like a good business practice and as a customer I would think twice before doing something like this. The vendor could easily go out of business before all of the credits are used and at that point all the customer could do is take them to court. The chargeback would be outdated if it is a time period longer than what a card processor allows. Even Paypal has time limits.

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
          , owner
          Miss Kate's Creations
          [email protected]
          www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

The vendor (us), is a massive global company that sells high end tools and equipment, so an order could easily be $10k. The problem is the customer has limits on their credit cards and wants to split a $5k payment into two cards at $2500 each, but without having to wait for customer service. Basically trying to think of a way to self-service this so the order can get placed any time, day or night, without human intervention. We have paypal credit and Apruve as methods as well, but the customer is looking to split on their own cards. I don't like the idea of selling a customer credit either, as it just gets too messy.

Comment

I've done some work with split payments; I can probably provide you with a payment module that supports them. You can drop me a line to discuss it in detail.
              Kent Multer
              Magic Metal Productions
              http://TheMagicM.com
              * Web developer/designer
              * E-commerce and Miva
              * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Working...
              X