Miva Search - Searchspring Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva Search - Searchspring Alternative

We have been with Searchspring for years, but its a little priceie for the traffic I have, Are there any other alternative out there people like?
    Last edited by lickx; 07-12-18, 06:21 AM.
    Stephen Scheer
    Digital Visuals

Old man William "Bill" Weiland (affectionately speaking of course) had a great solution called Power Search that he sold to Miva, they still have it on their apps store:

https://apps.miva.com/power-search.html

We actually own a copy, but was too complicated to for me at the time to implement to our Levels ReadyTheme at that time, and we have not revisited the project in two years.

We are contemplating changing current ReadyTheme and will be reevaluating the possibility of incorporating the Old Man's Power Search solution.

Thinking out-loud, once Colossus ReadyTheme is fully completed, we will compare the ReadyTheme with Shadows and decide whether to go with Colossus or use Shadows as our foundation and just use Colossus mega menu with flyouts solution.

I am hoping Power Search will be easier to implement, last time I tried to implement it was very complicated. Of course I welcome any and all comments and suggestions regarding same.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Thanks, William, I am familiar with Power Search. I am hoping to find a competitor service like Searchspring. I like most of there features, but just at a lower cost. I know I might be unrealistic. So I might be stuck with Searchspring.
      Stephen Scheer
      Digital Visuals

Comment

Originally posted by lickx View Post
        Thanks, William, I am familiar with Power Search. I am hoping to find a competitor service like Searchspring. I like most of there features, but just at a lower cost. I know I might be unrealistic. So I might be stuck with Searchspring.
        My pleasure. Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you prefer Search Spring over Power Search that merits paying such a significant difference?
        Last edited by William Davis; 07-12-18, 09:05 AM.
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by lickx View Post

Have you checked pricing with Nextopia? (nextopia.com). Similar and in some ways better than SearchSpring (especially support is much better). If serious, I believe I can get you a little bit of discount (we are in their partner program, but just because several of our clients use them...don't remember the right procedure but could look it up.)
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post

Have you checked pricing with Nextopia? (nextopia.com). Similar and in some ways better than SearchSpring (especially support is much better). If serious, I believe I can get you a little bit of discount (we are in their partner program, but just because several of our clients use them...don't remember the right procedure but could look it up.)
            Bruce, I have no doubt these solutions are superior than Power Search, I really don't know if its worth the difference in price. Do these solutions come with any kind of conversion reporting for analysis in order to determine ROI?

Finally, how effective are they on bilingual sites?
            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

A few things.

Power Search should not be used any longer on new sites, our built in search that came out in 9.7 is faster, more powerful and designed to replace Power Search. Power Search has a number of performance issues that will crush your site in the long run.

I personally think SearchSpring is the best in class for the price, and they do a lot that our built in or Power Search don't touch. Marketing and Merchandizing features way beyond just fuzzy search. They can also cover context in a way that you can't do without a SaaS platform.

Nextopia and Unbxd are other lower cost options, but YMMV.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]
              https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                A few things.

Power Search should not be used any longer on new sites, our built in search that came out in 9.7 is faster, more powerful and designed to replace Power Search. Power Search has a number of performance issues that will crush your site in the long run.

I personally think SearchSpring is the best in class for the price, and they do a lot that our built in or Power Search don't touch. Marketing and Merchandizing features way beyond just fuzzy search. They can also cover context in a way that you can't do without a SaaS platform.

Nextopia and Unbxd are other lower cost options, but YMMV.
                Good to know, thanks!
                Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I agree with Rick - SearchSpring would be my first option, but I guess it also depends on HOW SS is being used, i.e. doe the site/client use merchandising, marketing or any of the other now super cool build-in features? If the store isn't massive and SS is simply used on the search results page (many accounts still are) then build-in Miva facets would be the way to go IMHO.
                  Sabine Sharp
                  eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
                  Glendale Designs
                  Support Desk

Comment

Originally posted by GDesigns View Post
                    I agree with Rick - SearchSpring would be my first option, but I guess it also depends on HOW SS is being used, i.e. doe the site/client use merchandising, marketing or any of the other now super cool build-in features? If the store isn't massive and SS is simply used on the search results page (many accounts still are) then build-in Miva facets would be the way to go IMHO.
                    Sabine, what exactly are you referring as to "...site/client use merchandising, marketing or any of the other now super cool build-in features?" and "...would be the way to go IMHO."?
                    Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by William Davis View Post

Sabine, what exactly are you referring as to "...site/client use merchandising, marketing or any of the other now super cool build-in features?" and "...would be the way to go IMHO."?
                      She means if you're not using or do not need the additional features that SearchSpring provides, then it's more feasible and probably in your best interest to use Miva's new built in search. That said, SearchSpring is a lot more robust... If you have a large catalog (and a lot of users that use search) the merchandising features alone can pay for the fees many times over. You can read about SearchSpring's merchandising features here: https://searchspring.com/visual-merc...or-site-search

Comment

I would love to migrate away from Power Search to Miva's Search, but as far as I know there's still not a way to "boost" specific searchable fields for relevance... or does Miva's built-in search have another way to achieve this?

For example, there was an issue that if a shopper searched for "skirt", quite often many non-relevant products that contained the word skirt in the description (Ex. "This top looks great with a long skirt..") would rank before actual skirt products in the search results. I would not want to completely remove the Description field from being searchable (it often contains important search terms) however I would want the Product Name to be "boosted" to be more relevant than the description field.
                        Psydde Delicious
                        Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
                        Philadelphia, PA
                        www.DeliciousBoutique.com
                        www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

We're looking at that in V10.
                          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                          CEO
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]
                          https://www.miva.com

Comment

I had not kept up with SearchSpring for quite a while. Their "Merchandising" feature, UI and UX is impressive to say the least -thank you for bringing them to my attention.
                            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Thanks for answering for me, Ryan - for some reason my replies on the forum are always LATE :)
                              Sabine Sharp
                              eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
                              Glendale Designs
                              Support Desk

Comment

Working...
                              X