Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a way to call product SKU in the url?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a way to call product SKU in the url?

Hi,

My client wants to keep the product code for inventory purpose, however, I want to use SEO frienly urls for the site. Is there a way to call the SKU in the url or may be a custom field?

Let me know if there is any similar thread on this to know more about it.

Thanks,
    Ben

You can set a friendly canonical URL for a given product in URI management, while still keeping the SKU-based URL usable if you'd like that for convenience / ease of access. So, for example, if the preference would be to have product code UPC123v1red accessible as /products/red-kids-bicycle-for-five-year-olds.html you can edit the product, click URIs (possibly need to click the three dots along the tabbed line to see it), add a new URI of /products/red-kids-bicycle-for-five-year-olds.html and set it as canonical. That will automatically change /UPC123v1red.html to be a 'normal' URI when you click the save button. Then, to prevent both from ending up crawled, you can edit the old /UPC123v1red.html and set it to "301 redirect to canonical". Now someone can still type it in if they know the product by SKU, and it will redirect them to the SEO friendly, and internally, or in orders, it will continue to have code UPC123v1red.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Hi David,

I tried exactly what you explained in your reply but it did not work. It gives me 404. It shows the correct canonical and 301 redirect to canonical but when I try to check that url it gives 404.

My product urls have /custom/ as prefix so I set it like that. I also set it without the /custom word in the url but nothing worked. I also updated the .htaccess from Miva admin.

I think, I should try the htaccess rewrite directly on the server.

Comment

Working...
      X