Data Managment, Import from CSV, logfile of results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Managment, Import from CSV, logfile of results

When we used to import products/categories from a flat file it was easy to pick and choose fields and there was/is an option to have the log file of results emailed.
    The log file of results was also saved on the FTP server.

In our ReadyTheme store we learned that import products from flat file does not produce URIs and all the known fields are not offered so we switched to import from CSV.

When importing from CSV where is the option to have email results of the import and where on the FTP server would the log file be found?

The problem with no email or log file I can find is if I import 100 products and 85 are added and 15 are updated I need to know the 15 that got updated.

How do I tell which 15 part numbers got updated?

We have about 60 manufacturer product lists to maintain and I liked the import from flat file because I could manually pick the appropriate fields as I start and got a log file.

With this CSV requirement (if we want URIs to be generated) I don't really want to have 60 different CSV formats and I can't "see" what I'm doing with it by picking fields from the import file - and there doesn't seem to be an email option and I can't file the log file of results.

If there is no plan to make import from flat file create URIs and offer all fields is there a plan to add log file capability to import from CSV or am I just missing it?

I'll mention this even though I assume you may have already looked into trying this out. You can create a new import in "Import Settings." When configuring this, you can assign/map the fields your importing. A functional feature you can take advantage of, when using one spreadsheet, is you can "SKIP" fields you don't want to import. Best practice suggestion, practice with only a couple new rows until you're confident the new import is working like you need.

I have a feeling this thought won't help with the URI generation though.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Thanks for that - yes i have some customized imports and need to get used to bot being able to "see" what is going on and holding my breath when importing from CSV to see if it is going to works right or not. I have one customized import I can use for several of our suppliers - if I populate all the fields in the spreadsheet.

Then I have to open a new sheet, paste all the stuff in there, remember to reformat the fields (like cost, price, weights), save it as a CSV, let Excel complain about that a few times, then import the CSV and hope things are lined up properly. There are many awkward extra steps from what used to be very straightforward an easy (import from flat file) and still there is no log file/results that I can find.

Still - I don't know where the import from CSV results are (a log file of what happened).

Perhaps whoever came up with the Import from CSV function did not have enough real world experience actually importing from many sources to understand that it might be helpful to know what actually happened during the import - like which part numbers were updated (that is what I want to know).

Comment

Working...
      X