Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improving Google search results snippets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving Google search results snippets?

My site has awful snippets. Link.

google snippet.jpg
    How do I improve them? We have pretty good product descriptions.

Additionally, I'd love to see some review stars on my search results. I read a thread here from last year ago that suggested Google doesn't go for modules like Easy Review. Is there confirmation on whether or not Google can pull aggregate review data from such modules?

Thanks for any help.
    Doug
    Using Miva Merchant since 2004
    StoreSMART.com

Doug, you can add structured data/snippets to your reviews stars, but it's still up to Google to show them. See https://developers.google.com/search...review-snippet

But then again, maybe read this to see if you still want to do it: https://searchengineland.com/noticea...results-322269
    The ever-changing landscape of the interwebs :)
    Sabine Sharp
    eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
    Glendale Designs
    Support Desk

Comment

Structured data/snippets will improve what shows in the search result--most of the time. But like Sabine says, it's always changing. My search results used to show a better product description than they do now.

Google will show review results from Easy Review if you tag data on your product page correctly. I use Easy Review for reviews, and you can see the aggregate review results in this search result. But, be aware, you do need to do some manual work on your page template to add the correct structured data to allow this to show.
      Last edited by oliverands; 12-03-19, 11:53 PM.
      Todd Gibson
      Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Thanks for the info. This has led me to a lot of good reading.

Any preferences in using JSON-LD, RDFa, or Microdata? (I see Google recommends JSON-LD.)

What's the best method to improve the description portion of the snippet? Meta descriptions? Schema.org markup?

Again, thanks for the assistance.
        Doug
        Using Miva Merchant since 2004
        StoreSMART.com

Comment

Not sure that HOW you implement the markup matters as much as having it on your product page. JSON-LD may be easiest to implement but it shouldn't give you a leg up in search results.

Regarding improving the description, in my example, Google is using the start and end of what's tagged as itemprop="description" of item type "Product". If you really want control, you could create a custom field specifically for display in search results and tag that accordingly on your product page.
          Todd Gibson
          Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Working...
          X