Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base Ready Theme Categories on mobile

Hi all,
    Using Base Ready theme on praisewear.com and on mobile, the only categories that show on mobile are the 6 links that appear in the top navigation on desktop- all the ones that are in the left navigation when you browse the store in the left column are missing - is there a fix to this or do we have to have people click on their phones "View as Desktop Site"? I like the way the theme looks on a phone - just need to be able to get to all the other category links on mobile.
    Thanks!

It's been a while since I've looked at the Base Ready Theme. This RT is basically a bucket of tools you can use. I don't recall a "hamburger" menu for the categories coded to display automatically. I think the only menu created for mobile was the NAVBAR. Therefore, I think you'd need to code the menu for categories to render as the NAVBAR does.

But, you might check your page template that the category items are enabled to show the categories. When I "inspect" the browser version of the source code, there are no "hidden" category listings. If they were listed, you'd have to modify CSS that controls the grid/media query resolutions you want to render.

Scott

Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Thanks Scott - so just wondering, are there any Miva templates that work with desktop and mobile or do they all have to be custom coded (Like Snipcart, Shopify and others claim too).
      Thanks,
      Ken

Comment

Also sidenote to this - ran a "Mobile Friendly" check with Google on this template- the site comes back Mobile Friendly and easy to use - just can't get categories to show.

Comment

We use base ready (bootstrap 3) on most of our sites. Or at least used too. We now use our own bootstrap 4.0 framework. Since this readytheme relies on jquery, we just go a look for a jquery responsive menu option (literally hundreds) with the feature set we need and install it.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce - I like the Base Ready Navigation for the desktop as it is - is there a jquery plugin you know of that will just alter it for mobile look to show all categories? That's the only thing wrong with it "out of the box" for mobile that I can see.

Comment

might be...never tried to use two different menu plugins before. seems like too much work for me. look around, you might find one that looks like your current AND offers responsive as well.
              Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

If I understand Danceman's post, I'm seeing the same problem in a store I'm currently working on. I created a main Navigation Set that includes six links to specific pages, plus a Products link that shows a 2-level dropdown menu of categories and products. When I squeeze my browser down to cel-phone size, the dropdown doesn't work any more. All the top-level links are there, and all the other page behavior seems fine in the small screen.

This store doesn't show a Ready Theme in the Frameworks list, but it does have an "optics" subfolder in the "themes" folder. The store's been customized a lot, so I don't know for sure if the nav menu is from Optics. But if the Base theme has the same problem, It may be pretty common. Should this be considered a bug?

I think there must be a way to fix this in the template code, instead of resorting to Javascript.

Thanks --
                Kent Multer
                Magic Metal Productions
                http://TheMagicM.com
                * Web developer/designer
                * E-commerce and Miva
                * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Someone has messed with it then. Optics has a mobile menu that works fine (at least for two levels)

http://optics-theme.mivamerchantdev.com/

At this point, I'd offer the same advice. Load jQuery (if not already) and then go window shopping for a menu you like. hundreds...that's the tuff part. I usually search for "really simply responsive menus" cause a lot of them are over the top in terms of features. if jquery load is too much, there are a handful at least that will work with CASH as well.
                  Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post

I think there must be a way to fix this in the template code, instead of resorting to Javascript.

Thanks --
                    Yeah Kent, that's what I was hoping - the store looks great on mobile - just all the categories aren't flowing to it - almost like something was missed in the coding.

Comment

Well, as Scott pointed out...it was called 'base' for a reason :)
                      Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Another thought on this - is it possible to force mobile vistors into desktop view on their iphones/androids? I've watched people at our counter navigate competitor websites and they are fine with desktop view. Anyone know a working script that would do it?

Comment

I found the fix to this if anyone is wanting to force mobile view to desktop view (tested on both Android and Iphone)

In the global header find:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />

Replace with:
                          <meta name="viewport" content="width=1024">

Comment

I'd really advise against doing that.

1) Google will, more than likely, believe your site is NOT mobile friendly and penelize your ranking. (And currently, the effects both Desktop AND Mobile ranking)

2) I doubt customers would prefer trying to use your site in 'desktop' mode verses true mobile. Especially if any of your market are people under 30.
                            Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce - Unfortunately at this late stage of getting ready to go live, I don't have a choice (or the knowledge to quickly fix it). Switching to another readytheme now, after customizing the Base Ready checkout pages would take too long. Had I realized the Base Ready Theme didn't include full Category Navigation when viewed on a phone, I wouldn't have used it. (And my fault for not testing that first). It made our site appear to only have 6 categories and users would have to scroll page after page to find something. The other website we are working on for our main dance store, is using the Shadows Theme and is nice on mobile with the dynamic navigation, so will be ok there. Eventually I'll look to switch it to something else for this one. I need to have a test store set up to work with - doing this on a "almost live" site is dumb on my part...haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X