ReadyTheme Rich Snippets Code Deprecated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ReadyTheme Rich Snippets Code Deprecated

Description: We are starting (last week) to receive warnings from Google about the Rich Snippets code generated by Miva as being deprecated.

Right now it is a warning like this:

Search; some might be reclassified as errors in the future. The following warnings were found on your site:
    data-vocabulary.org schema deprecated
    We recommend that you fix these issues when possible to enable the best experience and coverage in Google Search.

I think I read that data-vocabulary.org code will be fully unsupported in March 2020 and then these warnings will turn into errors.

There is in the PROD page a section of generic boilerplate looking hunk of code that seems to be the area of concern for Rich Snippets.

Not an expert with SMT but the code looks generic/boilerplate and nothing specific to my Levels ReadyTheme or these stores.

The Google suggestion is to convert the code to use schema.org and I am not sure how to do that (not even a Mini Mivite or smart enough yet). I've experimented and gotten close but still end up with at least one warning from the Google Structured Data Testing Tool.

I imagine this will be a complaint on every product detail page in both our stores and also Miva should understand that this could be a problem for every Levels ReadyTheme and maybe other ReadyThemes.

I looked in the Miva App Store at the other ReadyTheme examples (View Live Demo) where Collosus does not seem to use Rich Snippets, StoryTeller seems to be using Schema.org and all the others are still showing the old data-vocabulary.org.

Does this mean that almost every Miva ReadyTheme store on the planet is going to have this problem and need to be updated?

Come March I don't need Google sending me 50,000+ error messages for every product page.

I opened a Support ticket where they acknowledged the problem and was told that our 6 month old Levels stores are now legacy and there will be no fixes/updates and we should hire a developer (5th problem report with that offered "solution").

I don't feel we should have to hire a developer for this since it is not just going to be our store with this problem - every Levels ReadyTheme store of our vintage (and maybe other Themes) will have this problem.

What about all the other ReadyTheme stores and if the code is generic/boilerplate does Miva intend on fix/update the code since I think whatever will work for one ReadyTheme might work for all (or close).

Does anyone have a fix for Levels ReadyTheme they will share?

Will Miva post a fix (the actual hunk of code) for non legacy ReadyThemes that I can test in our Levels stores - at least I can give it a shot.

The code looks generic and boilerplate - is there a replacement for that piece of code available from some other Miva implementation that will pass the Google Structured Data Testing Tool?

I will be happy to be the guinea pig for validating the fix.

you may want to check out the following post in the miva forum
    https://www.miva.com/forums/forum/on...-schema-markup

Comment

Hello, we have been updating a lot of those recently on older RT/Miva sites. In essence it simply comes down to older outdated implementation that should be updated to the latest. I am not aware of simple template code changes, those snippets can often vary by site and usually require human interaction to determine what and how things should be changed :) It's the never ending Google dance of change. Sorry, since that didn't really help you in any way.
      Sabine Sharp
      eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
      Glendale Designs
      Support Desk

Comment

May not have helped specifically, but this does supply proper and relevant context. The context, IMO, is that a web page of any make and model will always evolve. Mentioning Google, well, they are the major player in this "dance."

et al; Regarding Miva RTs, as soon as you change one thing in a template you're responsible for them going forward. IOW, any potential RT update will override that change. That means you cannot simply do an update of the RTs when Miva evolves them. Further, as we know, sometimes those RTs will cease from evolving anyway.

Until we can read the minds of Google management and developers, we'll be left having to react to the dance steps we needed to know before they were required. Specifically on deprecated Rich Snippets, who knew? And if you did, why didn't you say something sooner?

All that said, IMO, Rich Snippets will likely be viable for a decent amount of time and there is no need for panic. Regardless, switching to Schema.org isn't a mountainous effort. Am I right?

Just trying to keep up with the Googles,

Scott
        Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
        Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
        MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
        Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
        AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
        My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

LOL "It's the never ending Google dance of change. Sorry, since that didn't really help you in any way." You actually helped by saying it has to be done manually because not all settings are the same in every store. At least the majority is covered in the thread posted by Bonnie1225.
          Andreas Toman
          PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
          We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
          Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
          web: www.pcinet.com
          LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
          phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
            May not have helped specifically, but this does supply proper and relevant context. The context, IMO, is that a web page of any make and model will always evolve. Mentioning Google, well, they are the major player in this "dance."

et al; Regarding Miva RTs, as soon as you change one thing in a template you're responsible for them going forward. IOW, any potential RT update will override that change. That means you cannot simply do an update of the RTs when Miva evolves them. Further, as we know, sometimes those RTs will cease from evolving anyway.

Until we can read the minds of Google management and developers, we'll be left having to react to the dance steps we needed to know before they were required. Specifically on deprecated Rich Snippets, who knew? And if you did, why didn't you say something sooner?

All that said, IMO, Rich Snippets will likely be viable for a decent amount of time and there is no need for panic. Regardless, switching to Schema.org isn't a mountainous effort. Am I right?

Just trying to keep up with the Googles,

Scott
            Right, no panic.
            As of April 6, 2020, data-vocabulary.org markup will no longer be eligible for Google rich result features. To be eligible after April 6, 2020, you need to replace data-vocabulary.org markup with schema.org markup. Learn more about sunsetting support for data-vocabulary.
            Now we got a date :)
            Andreas Toman
            PCINET, LLC

Comment

Ah, I missed the date. Sooner than I expected. But, what will the penalty be?

Scott
              AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
                Ah, I missed the date. Sooner than I expected. But, what will the penalty be?

Scott
                Same penalty as not having it at all I assume. Shouldn't kill any ecommerce site because adding the schema is just for Google to make sure it doesn't assume what it finds but you tell Google what you really want to convey :)
                Andreas Toman
                PCINET, LLC

Comment

The linked to example from bonnie1525 (the basic markup from Brennan) has the basic snippets but does not pass the Google Structured Data Testing Tool - and that post from dstauffer where I think the site is https://www.bpimedicalsupply.com/SFNT.html has switched back to data-vocabulary.org and is not using schema.org and it too will not pass the Google Structured Data Testing Tool.

The snippet code in the PROD template appears to be generic boilerplate that comes with the ReadyTheme and we have not tampered with it and it just contains basic snippets - nothing customized for our stores.

In the ReadyTheme examples in the Miva App Store the snippet code (from View, Source) appears to be generic and the same for every RT with just the basic snippets but that code will start to generate Google errors in March. Every ReadyTheme I looked at in the Miva app store will generate Google errors in March unless the snippet code is replaced.

I don't think or see that the snippet code is specific to any ReadyTheme - it is generic boilerplate. In the Miva App Store they all look the same and they are all wrong using the deprecated data-vocabulary.org (not using schema.org).

Example from Optics:
                  <!-- Google Rich Snippets -->
                  <div itemscope itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Product">
                  <meta itemprop="name" content="Red Streamlined" />
                  <meta itemprop="image" content="http://optics-theme.mivamerchantdev.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/eyeglasses5.png" />
                  <meta itemprop="category" content="Men" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$69.95" />
                  <meta itemprop="description" content="Try this bold look for evenings and weekends. " />
                  <!-- <meta itemprop="brand" content="" /> For Use With CPF -->
                  <div itemprop="offerDetails" itemscope itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Offer">
                  <meta itemprop="identifier" content="upc:red-streamlined" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$69.95" />
                  <meta itemprop="currency" content="USD" />
                  <meta itemprop="seller" content="Optics ReadyTheme" />
                  <meta itemprop="condition" content="new" />
                  </div>

Example from Iron and Wool:
                  <meta itemprop="name" content="Under ArmourŪ Hustle Backpack" />
                  <meta itemprop="image" content="http://ironwool.mivamerchantdev.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/green-bag-front.png" />
                  <meta itemprop="category" content="Camp &amp; Hike" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$54.99" />
                  <meta itemprop="description" content="&lt;div class=&quot;left&quot;&gt;
                  <div itemprop="offerDetails" itemscope itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Offer">
                  <meta itemprop="identifier" content="upc:under-armour-huslte-backpack" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$54.99" />
                  <meta itemprop="seller" content="Iron &amp; Wool ReadyTheme" />
                  </div>

Example from Suviant:
                  <meta itemprop="name" content="Elegance Boot" />
                  <meta itemprop="image" content="http://suivant-theme.mivamerchantdev.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/boot1.png" />
                  <meta itemprop="category" content="Boots" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$129.90" />
                  <meta itemprop="description" content="A bold fold-over cuff and a gleaming exposed zip lend moto-chic edge to a saucy peep-toe bootie styled with a cutout heel." />
                  <meta itemprop="identifier" content="upc:elegance" />
                  <meta itemprop="price" content="$129.90" />
                  <meta itemprop="seller" content="Suivant ReadyTheme" />
                  </div>

They are exactly the same snippets (of course the values are different) but using the deprecated code - it is generic boilerplate code.

Where is the generic boilerplate code for those ReadyThemes that uses schema.org? Has Miva not created it yet?

For ReadyThemes isn't Miva going to replace the snippet code in all the ReadyThemes with a schema.org version that will pass the Structured Data Testing Tool?

Am I jut naive to think that every ReadyTheme will have the exact same generic boilerplate code for snippets? I just don't see how every ReadyTheme will have a different snippet code section. There is nothing theme specific about it. It is just the basic things that would be the same for every implementation.

If it is true that the generic snippet code is the same for every ReadyTheme where is an example of a schema.org version that which will pass the Google Structured Data Testing Tool?

Surely Miva will be updating all the ReadyTheme PROD code to schema.org with just the basic snippets (like Optics, like Iron and Wool, like Suviant, etc.) and test to be sure it passes the Google Structured Data Testing Tool.

You can see they are all using exactly the same snippets.

The schema.org version of that is the hunk of code I seek - has Miva not created that yet?

Comment

I don't think you should expect Miva to create a complete functional set of structured data template code. It's a starting point like a ReadyTheme is a "starting point" for the look and feel for your store.

If I recall the schema.org specs, the data needs to be structured properly to match what you want to present. The specs tell you all the requirements of the elements. I don't think I'm defending Miva here because, IMO, there is no way for Miva to know how you need/want to structure your data. It's even possible that a store could have multiple structured data requirements because different products need to have very different presentation information. And here's another example, late last year I added some structured to a client's store with elements that needed data the standard product data doesn't supply. Therefore, we needed to use custom product fields to populate the product page template with valid data for the elements that were missing.

Scott

Comment

We ere told the Levels ReadyTheme is legacy and we know it has included features that do not work and Support will not offer a solution - get a developer we are told.

If I bought a new car and among many standard options I foolishly expected to work let's say the radio doesn't work and I take it back to the dealer and they say "Yes the radio doesn't work, when we sold the new car to you we knew the radio doesn't work and if you want the radio to work you are going to have to pay somebody to fix it. You want the windows to go up and down? You'll have to pay somebody to fix that. By the way, you may find out later that the airbags don't work either and we know the airbags don't work and if you want them to work you are going to have to pay somebody to fix them." That's what Miva (or Support) seems to be doing to us with Levels.

The Miva App Store still offers Levels but Support will not address the built in features that don't work since it is legacy. If Levels is no longer supported why is it still offered when there are several features that don't work? I do appreciate not updating legacy code but these are included features that when you try to use them you find they do not work.

I don't expect Miva to create a complete functional set of structured data. The problem is the "staring point" included with the ReadyThemes has a problem. It should not be unreasonable to have Miva at least fix the starting point.

I expect Miva to be sure the structured data they do supply works - or don't supply it at all (the easiest out for Miva). Just like we expected some features of Levels to work when we wanted to use them they don't work and Miva/Support won't fix them.

I don't care about structured data that the standard product does not supply - if I want to add more later I can. The problem is the structured data that is supplied is not going to work in March at least for the themes I viewed. I want the structured data that comes with the standard product to work and come March none of the structured data elements in any of the ReadyThemes I looked at will work. When some other customer opens a ticket for the structured data not working will Support say "It's legacy and no longer supported"? Surprise, Mr. Customer!

In the Miva App Store which ReadyThemes are not legacy?
                      Hopefully nobody will ever pick Levels because they will not get support for included features that do not work.
                      Shouldn't Levels be stricken from the App Store?

I will pick a non legacy theme to use and then when it has the schema issue Support will not be able to use their legacy reasoning and they will have to fix it, right?
                      Last edited by joseibarra; 01-28-20, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post

In the Miva App Store which ReadyThemes are not legacy?
                        Hopefully nobody will ever pick Levels because they will not get support for included features that do not work.
                        Shouldn't Levels be stricken from the App Store?
                        You won't find out that they are Legacy until you come to the forums...

Leslie Kirk
                        Miva Certified Developer
                        Miva Merchant Specialist since 1997
                        Previously of Webs Your Way
                        (aka Leslie Nord leslienord)

Email me: [email protected]
                        www.lesliekirk.com

Follow me: Twitter | Facebook | FourSquare | Pinterest | Flickr

Comment

If I bought a new car and among many standard options I foolishly expected to work let's say the radio doesn't work and I take it back to the dealer and they say "Yes the radio doesn't work, when we sold the new car to you we knew the radio doesn't work and if you want the radio to work you are going to have to pay somebody to fix it.
                          Ok, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I think I need to be direct: Software is not like a 'car' or any other consumer product. And Miva, as an e-commerce platform is not even like say "Word for Windows".

As its been pointed out, there is no way Miva COULD provide a plugin replacement. The fact that you used the 'default' template markup and got away with it (or maybe not) is coincidence. I've never been able to do that with the hundreds of sites I've worked on.

Basically, its like you leased a building for your store from miva, and it came with shelving and racks, and now you want miva to come in and change the racks and shelving around because the ADA now requires a minimum of 48" aisles.

One of us will be probably doing this for our older sites, and I certainly am happy to post THOSE examples, but unless you take the time to understand the impact of each option, you probably wont get much benefit from implementing them.
                          Bruce Golub
                          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                          phosphormedia.com

Comment

I expect Miva to be sure the structured data they do supply works
                            I don't know about Shadows/Colossus RTs, the only RTs being updated as far as I know, but I don't think there was an error in the basic structured data templating when these RTs were released. I have a pretty good memory about this, but I can't prove either way -- worked or not. The Structured Data requirements and testing tools have evolved; so my point, if it worked then and not now that, would be the reason.

Full disclosure, being an integration/developer, having a starting point, whether it worked 100% or not, is a major step forward in the place of starting from nothing and build it from scratch. It saves the client some time and money. The last thing to add from me, I don't think this piece of structured data deprecation announcement has been widely available. At least for me. My nose is generally buried in a client's store. This is a good discussion because I hadn't been aware of this. Now, I have clients who will need to have their structured data updated. Somebody, ask me if I have time! Thanks, Google!

Comment

The older, legacy ReadyThemes (which encompasses any ReadyTheme not based on Shadows) have soon-to-be deprecated code. Those ReadyThemes were originally created using the latest standardized meta/micro-data content recommendations. Considering the sunset status of those ReadyThemes, the decision was been made to only issue updates if a security risk is discovered. This, of course, means there will be no updates for Schema.

Updating the product page - where the Schema code is usually added – may only require a simple cut-and-paste assuming there have been no page layout customization to the code. However, the majority of users DO have customization which makes it more difficult to perform the necessary updates. If you do not feel comfortable performing the updates yourself, I would recommend contacting either Professional Services or one of our Agency Partners for assistance.

Matt Zimmermann

Miva Web Developer
                              Alchemy Web Development
                              https://www.alchemywebdev.com
                              Site Development - Maintenance - Consultation

Miva Certified Developer
                              Miva Professional Developer

https://www.dev4web.net | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X