Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inventory Kit Builder with Inventory Tracking - am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory Kit Builder with Inventory Tracking - am I missing something?

So I've implemented the inventory kit builder for several of our "kit" products and it works fine for the most part.

What I'm curious about - is there a way to populate the in stock message on the parent item given that all the items in the kit are in stock?

It seems I currently have to regulate stock for the parent item by itself, even though it's composed of individual items already in our store and therefore have a stock level themselves, so theoretically, shouldn't the stocking quantity for the parent item be dependent on the stock of the items it contains? I know it's not as simple as an on/off because of inventory levels, low stock, out of stock, etc.

If there's not a way to do this, is there a way to check all the stock of the items the kit contains and then code an inventory message based on that for the parent item? I checked the variable list and I don't see that it's being pulled to the product page for the parent item, unless I am perhaps blind (which is entirely possible.)

Thanks!

Last edited by kat_oakos; 08-05-20, 12:13 PM.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to hand code something to make this work the way I want it to - which is fine - but that's all dependent on whether or not I can get the products that are in the kits to come through on the product pages for the kits themselves.

Is there any way whatsoever, without having to write a custom module, to get the items assigned to the kits to come through in variable form on the product page of the kit itself? I have been unable to find a way to - but I also know the documentation can be a little iffy. Can anyone help?

Comment

Following. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I've been working or recreating all of our "kit" products and it's turned into quite a chore. I'm curious to see if anyone else has come up with clever solutions or hacks to the existing kit features. Maybe there will be some kit enhancements with Miva 10, however I've not specifically heard of any yet..
      Psydde Delicious
      Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
      Philadelphia, PA
      www.DeliciousBoutique.com
      www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

I haven't worked with Inventory Kits, so I don't actually know how they work. But I know that it's possible to use variants, instead of kits, to create products that are a collection of other products. Have you looked into that?
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

I have - I still have the same issue, unfortunately. I need information from the products connected to the kit (whether using inventory kits or variants) to manipulate and it seems to be a similar problem.

The data is in the database, and I get the information with API calls, but I was hoping it was going to be a bit easier than going that route.

That's alright, I'm not opposed to learning.

Comment

Have you contacted Miva support? It seems like there ought to be a way to do this.
            Kent Multer
            Magic Metal Productions
            http://TheMagicM.com
            * Web developer/designer
            * E-commerce and Miva
            * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

I agree! There absolutely ought to be a way to do this.

I haven't tried Miva support yet. I'll shoot them a ticket.

Comment

This is helping me with what I need:

https://docs.miva.com/code-samples/load-variant-data

Comment

No idea what's going on with the forum -- I see what you mean!

I'm mostly getting what I need to get done. We do stocking a little differently than Miva is designed to do since it's not so simple as "out of stock," or "low stock," or "in stock" for us -- but I managed to get what I need done for the most part.

I had made a custom solution for in store pick up (I think I finished 2 days before Miva released theirs - because of course!) but it wasn't working the way I needed because the inventory levels weren't translating over at first. I finally got my solution done today -- bypassing the inventory count thing (fortunately.)

Just happy Mivascript is playing nice with me after only 6 months or so of experience with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X