Restrict to Qualifying Subtotal Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restrict to Qualifying Subtotal Issue

We have setup some price groups where the minimum subtotal to qualify is $50. The problem we are running into is that when the customer hits that minimum, after the discount is applied it drops the customer below the $50. How can we avoid this, short of increasing the minimum to say $60? Am I missing a setting or something, or is this just how it works?

As a customer, if I'm offered 10% off with a min of $50 in the basket, I expect $5 off. So, if I place a $50 order, I should see the subtotal dropped to $45. If you need a $50 min order after discounting, I think you're correct. The solution is to raise the min in the basket.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Btw, this too me is a borderline 'bug' and should be reported. that feature should have a "pre-discount/actual value" setting.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand why this is a problem. If you offer a discount on a $50 purchase, then of course you expect the price to be less than $50. Are there some other effects, such as a discount that keeps switching On and Off as the customer moves from one page to the next?
        Kent Multer
        Magic Metal Productions
        http://TheMagicM.com
        * Web developer/designer
        * E-commerce and Miva
        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

To me it depends on what the Store Owner wants to achieve. I see this a lot with 'shipping' minimums. You get a discount for buying something on-sale, only to be penalized cause you end up paying more with the shipping added on. 1) may not be the intended consequence, 2) certainly pisses customers off. Happened to me a week ago. Ended up buying it elsewhere...albeit i only saved a few bucks :)
          Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

We have many products that sell for $19.95 and offered free shipping at $20. Customers provided feedback that they didn't think it was fair, that it was price manipulation.

We understood how they felt and so decided to manage customer's expectations differently.

We now advertise free shipping over $25 but left the price group discount at $20. Sort of under-promising and over-delivering.

There's always going to be those edge cases that are close to the price group threshold but we no longer get the customer's negative feedback.
            Last edited by alphabet; 08-22-20, 05:28 AM. Reason: typo
            http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree on all points.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabet View Post
                We have many products that sell for $19.95 and offered free shipping at $20. Customers provided feedback that they didn't think it was fair, that it was price manipulation.

We understood how they felt and so decided to manage customer's expectations differently.

We now advertise free shipping over $25 but left the price group discount at $20. Sort of under-promising and over-delivering.

There's always going to be those edge cases that are close to the price group threshold but we no longer get the customer's negative feedback.
                Great marketing advice. Always amazed at how some businesses (including big one) shoot themselves in the foot. For example, Kroger (at least here in WA) starting to adding a caveat to some sales prices (with Card). However, this is on literially 7pt lightweight type crowded out by larger text. (I can't see that type face without glasses. Got bit once...no longer shopping there.
                Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                X