Add a Drop Down for Sales Reps in the Checkout Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a Drop Down for Sales Reps in the Checkout Screen

Looking to add a drop down so customers can select the sales rep that helped them with a purchase (if any) when they are checking out, but not seeing a place to do this.

Site for reference
    www.vdubwarehouse.com

Any help is appreciated
    Thank you!

Code:
    First, create a Customer Custom Field (under Utilities) called SalesRep
    Then, add a input field where you want the select box to be. (Something like <select name="salesrep"><option value="Fred">Fred</option></select>. The field needs to be within a form post on the page.
    On the following page use:
    <mvt:item name="customfields" param="Write_Basket( 'SalesRed', g.salesrep)" />
    If all goes well, that field will be recorded in the order's custom fields popup.

Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

I don't think you need a custom customer field for this, unless you want to save the name of the sales rep in each customer's account. You can just create a menu of reps' names, and put the Write_Basket tag on the following page to save the selection in a custom basket field. The store will then save it with the order.
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

oh crap...sorry...i meant custom ORDER field to save it with the order...
        Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Oh yes, that makes sense. You need to create a custom order field, so that the store will have a place to store the basket field when the purchase is completed.
          Kent Multer
          Magic Metal Productions
          http://TheMagicM.com
          * Web developer/designer
          * E-commerce and Miva
          * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Appreciate the help. Coding is, well, not a strong point of mine to say the least. I created the customer order field with drop downs with the separate rep options. Best I can figure, it seems the best place for the selection would be on the OSEL page. Probably as another drop down in the "Ship Via" and "Pay With" menu's. How would I code it in there to match those in appearance?

Comment

And would I be coding the drop down optiosn there? You say to code in "fred", does that mean it can't just grab the custom order field I created for the different rep names?

Comment

I would first copy the HTML from an existing drop down on your site for appearance and strip out the variables (select name=xxx and option value=xxxx)

It can go anywhere on the OSEL page as long as its inside the shipping / payment form. (like just above the "continue" button).

If i understand last post, if you have a custom order field called REPS, and it has say, FRED, KAREN, LASSIE, YOGI, you could use that to populate the drop down using an mvt:while loop....but that seems like overkill to me. Just put those names in the OSEL page and make the REPS custom field just a text field to hold the selected value.
                Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

A question, since I created the custom order field as a drop down with the fields, wouldn't I just need to plug in that custom order field into the OSEL page so that the menu options are there?

I copied one of the other categories, and got it named appropriately, but it didn't plug in the options I created in the custom order field. Also there is no complete drop down coding to copy as they are for payment and shipping modules so they were created by the template and must grab information from elsewhere.. So obviously I did something wrong, or am thinking about it wrongly.

Comment

There is no customer focused display capabilities with custom fields. I.e., Text custom fields, radio, select... none of those options effect what a customer sees cause the custom field does not create any 'display' code.
                    The only impact those choices have are:

They determine how that field and its value are shown in the admin.
                    They determine the data characteristic to a degree.

For example, a checkbox value means Miva will accept a Yes/No or 1/0 input. A text field accepts text strings up to (i. think) 254 or so characters. A text area field accepts small novellas.

So, copy the formatting of a select box from some other portion of the site. (i.e., state drop down list) and add the selections you want to provide. In fact, you could make that custom field just a text area since you'll just be storing a string of text.
                    Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                    X