Adding States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding States

Does selecting the tax option in Store Details > Settings > Sales Tax Calculation, pre-load the states or provinces? I never really thought about this before because I'm normally dealing with stores for Canada only. I select Canadian VAT and the provinces magically show up under the states tab. But if I actually wanted to load the states, could I select "State Based Sales Tax" and that would load the states? I'm not actually needing tax for this store, but I just need all the states to show up in the "states" field for shipping and I'm hoping to avoid having to manually add each one.
    Tony Pavao
    Studio6t6
    Vancouver BC Canada
    [email protected]

Originally posted by studio6t6 View Post
    Does selecting the tax option in Store Details > Settings > Sales Tax Calculation, pre-load the states or provinces? I never really thought about this before because I'm normally dealing with stores for Canada only. I select Canadian VAT and the provinces magically show up under the states tab. But if I actually wanted to load the states, could I select "State Based Sales Tax" and that would load the states? I'm not actually needing tax for this store, but I just need all the states to show up in the "states" field for shipping and I'm hoping to avoid having to manually add each one.
    On the tax-based tab, you have to add each state individually and it allows you to input the tax rate at that time. But if you are in Canada, they don't charge sales tax for shipping over the border. There's another screen that actually allows for shipping and that's Shipping Method Rules when you set up your shipping vendors. After clicking on USPS, for example, you can include shipping or exclude shipping to all states and all countries or pick and choose where you want to ship to. Hope that answers your question.

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
    , owner
    Miss Kate's Creations
    [email protected]
    www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

Thanks for your input, Kathleen.

The store I'm building isn't charging tax. I'm really only interested in the "States' tab, which controls what appears in the state/province drop down menu when the customer is entering shipping / billing info. So I was wanting to avoid having to manually enter in all 50 states one by one. I mentioned the tax setting because it appears that it would pre-load the provinces (when selecting Canadian VAT) and then (as you said) you have to add tax for each state manually using the predefined list of states (or in my case, each province).
      Tony Pavao
      Studio6t6
      Vancouver BC Canada
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by studio6t6 View Post
        Thanks for your input, Kathleen.

The store I'm building isn't charging tax. I'm really only interested in the "States' tab, which controls what appears in the state/province drop down menu when the customer is entering shipping / billing info. So I was wanting to avoid having to manually enter in all 50 states one by one. I mentioned the tax setting because it appears that it would pre-load the provinces (when selecting Canadian VAT) and then (as you said) you have to add tax for each state manually using the predefined list of states (or in my case, each province).
        I think you need to refer to the Shipping Method Rules which controls the states/countries options under whatever shipping vendors you want to use. I know that is preloaded but not sure where it is preloading from. That controls what country a customer selects on the customer shipping/billing form. You may have countries excluded from a shipping vendor and when the customer clicks to move forward in the checkout process, if you don't ship to that country the customer gets an error message.

In the Store Settings > Country tab I believe if you were to select the United States, it will populate all of the states in the US for the State tab. I hope this answers your question, but if not, hopefully someone else will jump in to give a more precise answer.

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
        , owner
        Miss Kate's Creations
        [email protected]
        www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

Working...
        X