Modifying Product Prices in Persistent Customer Shopping Baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying Product Prices in Persistent Customer Shopping Baskets

We allow our customers to maintain shopping baskets for an extended number of days, which fits the way our customers accumulate items before completing an order. Occasionally a customer will put an item in a basket at a current price, but we subsequently change the price. Is there any way to adjust the new price of the product in the customer's shopping basket?

Phil
    squidco.com

You'd have to use a "saved basket" feature for that. (Will also be easier on the store's server since your basket time out can be set shorter.) Basically, you store the basket selection in a cookie/custom customer field and when the customer returns, it shows those items and lets them add them back to the basket. Scott Shepard @ http://www.southbound.com/ has an integration that we've used on a quite a few sites.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

We have a Wishlist feature, which effectively allows the same, but I doubt that our customers can be "trained" to use the feature in this case. We sell music albums, CDs & LPs and customers accumulate several releases over time as we announce them, then eventually pull the trigger or wait for a discount sale. Maintaining a basket like this is very "Amazon-like", which our customers appreciate, and we have a half server so performance is not an issue for us. Re-pricing is though because we import many of the albums we sell and the prices vary based on exchange rates. Also we sometimes reprice to a fixed discount instead of using the marketing features of Miva, and if a customer holds the item after the sale they also hold the discount, which should expire at the end of the sale period.

At this point I think I should delete items that have significant price changes, then re-add them to the store. I'm assuming deleting an item will remove it from a shopping basket.

phil

Comment

The problem with wish lists is that they require a customer account...but yea, you can repurpose wish lists that way. (Just call it "save basket")
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
        X