Moving an SSL cert to another server and downtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving an SSL cert to another server and downtime

Hi - This isn't an eCommerce question per se, but as it involves SSL, I am guessing the people in the know are here. :)

I am moving a Web site from one hosting environment to another, and we have an SSL cert on the forms and CMS of the site. The cert is from GeoTrust, and I contacted them about moving it. They said I could reissue the cert with a CSR from the new server, but once I did the old one would be revoked immediately. As a result, there would be "downtime" for the SSL cert on the new server, even if I did the DNS changes at the same time.

Is this truly the case? Are there options around this? Also, ideally I would do such a move overnight, but if there is an issue with the CSR or generating the new cert, GeoTrust does not offer support past 5 pm PT!

Thanks in advance...

mp/m
    Mike Maddaloni
    Dunkirk Systems, LLC - Delivering Internet Solutions
    The Hot Iron - A journal on business, technology and occasional diversions

Re: Moving an SSL cert to another server and downtime

You can copy the existing certificate to the new server prior to going live and there will be no interruption.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Hi David:

So I would request the CSR on the new server, but paste in the cert from the old? That sounds like a plan!

Thanks!

mp/m

P.S. - There's a reason why I host my Miva Merchant sites with Hostasaurus, as they rock!!!

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
      You can copy the existing certificate to the new server prior to going live and there will be no interruption.
      Mike Maddaloni

Comment

No, you'd need the SSL key and SSL certificate from the old server, then just load them in on the new server in whatever manner it has for handling that. No CSR's, reissues, etc. Basically you're copying the existing certificate to be on two servers.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the clarification David. As both servers are Windows servers, I found how I need to do this:

http://www.digicert.com/ssl-support/...port-iis-7.htm

mp/m

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
          No, you'd need the SSL key and SSL certificate from the old server, then just load them in on the new server in whatever manner it has for handling that. No CSR's, reissues, etc. Basically you're copying the existing certificate to be on two servers.
          Mike Maddaloni

Comment

Working...
          X