Blocking IP Addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking IP Addresses

How do I block IP addresses without having to add the whole string for all the countries I do not want? I saw a posting about Max Mind which looked good...but if I have a shared server can I do that? I am not familiar with Apache (not a developer) bought the module from Miva...but it is tedious...since the crooks just switch IPs...

So I guess my question is what is the easiest way to block countries in Miva for the Non-Developer...thanks.

Re: Blocking IP Addresses

did you take a look at the Fraud Prevention module from Wolfpaw? (or is that what you mean by Max Mind since i believe the utilize that service as well).
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks...I looked at this...but my website is located in Thailand and my customers are located mainly in the U.S., so there are already a host of issues preventing legitimate orders from getting through. I can spot a fraud order before it ships..that is not a problem...I am just looking at getting something that allows me to block a country from the website...or better yet...allow only certain countries to view/use my website...I bought the IP Block module from Miva already...but it only allows me to block individual IP's or ranges of IPs...not entire countries

Comment

Not sure where you are hosting, but if you were to host with us (dotCOM host) we have the capability to either allow or block access based on country codes. It uses reverse geoip lookups and cross-checks them with organizations like ARIN, APNIC, etc, to see which countries the specific IP address is registered in. You can either block certain countries, or you can allow access only from certain countries - your call, and you can change the rules on the fly at any time once the system is set up and configured on your domain. If you are interested in such a system - contact us at any time.

Comment

What countries?

Comment

Originally posted by nottheusual1 View Post
            What countries?
            Was this a question for me, or the OP?

If for me - it's entirely up to you. Once the system is set up, you can configure countries you want to allow or block using standard ISO country codes (US = USA, CA = Canada, etc).

Comment

For the OP.

there are resources like:

http://www.okean.com/thegoods.html

That can let you block some of the more problematic geographies. It's what we use.

Comment

Ah yes, but these IP block assignments change *all* *the* *time*... and they are not guaranteed to cover every single IP block ever assigned to the countries in question. This is especially problematic in the far east where one country may get a large IP block and they sublet smaller IP ranges to Australia, New Zealand, or other smaller nations in their vicinity. The problem there is that the IP may be "registered in China" but is actively used in say Australia - which may completely alter the static rules you may be using from resources like you mentioned.

The system I was referring to makes real-time connections to organizations that issue IPs to various companies and telcos around the world (ARIN, APNIC, etc) and cross-checks the IP assignments, SWIP delegations (subletting or leasing IPs), etc, and this gets updated every day since IP blocks change hands or get reassigned a lot more frequently than you'd imagine.

Comment

True in the minutiae, but not significant depending on your requirements.

We don't do any business outside the US on most of our big retail/B2B sites, so there is never a reason for any of those IPs to ever need to communicate with us.

It's an example of available resources for those that need them.

Didn't mean to step on your marketing ...

Comment

Originally posted by nottheusual1 View Post
                    Didn't mean to step on your marketing ...
                    Don't get too excited - we don't make any money on this - this is not our bread and butter. It's just an option we make available to clients - it's a completely different company that charges for the software and any updates to make this all happen. I'm just here to share a resource info, just like you did.

Comment

Actually I am located in Thailand and ship to US/Canada/Europe/Australia..etc...so your issues about Asian IPs is an issue for me. I am currently using Hostasaurus...have used them for years and years...now they are part of Miva...I sent your message to them and I am waiting for them to get back to me...but I appreciate the response.

Comment

Remik, does your solution allow/block access to the entire site? One of our mutual customers wants to hide pricing from international customers, but allow browsing of the site without pricing.

I'm looking at MaxMind's other web service (GeoIP) which should be easy to modularize, but I thought I'd ask you first since they are already hosted with you.
                        Susan Petracco
                        NetBlazon

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Susan - in talking with Miva/Hostasaurus I have not gotten an answer that would indicate to me that they are going to offer IP blocking on a server basis. Acutally...if there were a module that was written that allowed the entire site to be blocked by IP Country and...allowing other Countries IPs full access and allowing some Countries partial access where I could block price...that would be the IDEAL solution..

Comment

Susan,

The system I mentioned allows or blocks ALL access to/from the countries you specify. It's not a Miva module - doesn't know anything about Miva for that matter, it integrates directly within Apache and intercepts all web traffic.

Comment

Susan,

As a late add on...if you were going to create a module like the one mentioned above...another neat option would be blocking checkout pages...similar to blocking prices...

Comment

Working...
                              X