Miva-friendly Warehouse in NY/NJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva-friendly Warehouse in NY/NJ?

I don't know if this is the best place to post this.

We've had nothing but problems with our current warehouse in NJ, and have never been able to create a working synch between our site and fulfillment (forget enhancing things on our end - the WH is the problem) - way too much manual work. So, we are looking for a new warehouse in the NY area. Any recommendations?

Re: Miva-friendly Warehouse in NY/NJ?

why does it have to be in nj...a lot of fulfillment services locate in mid west to make shipping costs more equal east/west. (Not to mention is usually cheaper to run a warehouse in say ohio than nj.)
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce, as usual, is correct. There are always many other options specific to your company's needs. Thus further analysis may be required, in order to achieve desired goals with an adequate ROI, "Success is the progressive realization of predetermined worthwhile goals."

You might want to collect the following data in order to establish your company's minimum fulfillment requirements, expenses, goals, etc...:
      • How many unique products in total do you sell?
      • How many unique products in inventory?
      • Average quantities per unique product?
      • Average number of back-orders?
      • Average fulfillment time (Cycle Time)?
      • Fulfillment accuracy?
      • Fulfillment flexibility (change in product offerings, size, weight, temperature, etc...)?
      • Fulfillment scalability solution needs that accommodates growth?
      • Long-Tail inventory needs?
      • Maximum number of fulfillment individuals employed at one time, shifts, etc...?
      • Current warehouse square footage?
      • Average number of daily orders?
      • Average fulfillment weight?
      • Average fulfillment dimensions?
      • Average number of storage shelves per shelf?
      • Average shelf height?
      • Seasonal business?
      • Average number of hours warehouse operates daily, and how many days?
      • Do you fulfill for others?
      • Are pallets, forklifts involved?
      • Most important, operating expense, and average cost of fulfillment per order without shipping?

Knowing these answers, are key in developing alternative cost effective solutions while maximizing productivity, thus reducing current fulfillment expenses. Once, and only once you have a very good handle on these issues, you can perform an online research for "warehouse fulfillment systems" before you decide to move.

Good luck.
      Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Good points...you might also consider the ability/flexibility in the fulfillment chain from Miva Merchant. Meaning, is there an existing 'fulfillment' module or can one be easily made to make the process even more streamlined? I know Miva has worked with one major fulfillment house (forgot their name) and created a fulfillment back-end. Most modern companies support XML posts, which, if there is a complete spec, are fairly easy to create as a custom module.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce, I think Shipwire is the fulfillment house you are probably thinking of. I got excited about them until I saw their rates. I don't think we are ready for that. Also, your point about a mid-west location is well taken, but we prefer to have access to the warehouse, which is why we are looking locally. I am also very interested in understanding what modules or customization is available to streamline the order fulfillment process. Our current warehouse has been unable (or unwilling) to work with us to make this happen, so I'm ultimately looking for places that have already integrated with Miva stores.

Bill, thanks for your guidelines. We have answers to all your bullet points and our search is on.

I was hoping to get some potential referrals, but I guess it's too general a request?

Comment

What is it exactly that they are not helping with? Do they have a way to upload data to them? If so, I've written custom order export modules for direct http upload and ftp upload of the order data so the warehouse can ship your products. Formats have been in XML, CSV, TAB-Delimited, and even custom formats. There was one module that even did it via email.

If they don't have any system for this, they will be prone to errors -- One reason you may be spending so little and getting little help. You might try the Chamber of Commerce of the cities near you to see if they have membesr that are in this business.

FWIW,

Scott
            Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
            Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
            MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
            Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
            AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
            My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Originally posted by godogo View Post
              Our current warehouse has been unable (or unwilling) to work with us to make this happen,...
              As a person that has had a lot of experience in managing a large number of employees at a given time (200) at every level (janitors - fairly large team of in-house counsel), I cannot help in keying in on the above statement you made.

In my professional opinion, you might want to consider postponing investing on a fulfillment system until the above issue has been properly addressed first. Management needs to regain, and retain control of its human capital through proper leadership, etc... before it invests in any technology system that will require mutual support in order to work well.

Management needs to immediately step-in, and evaluate warehouse manager's overall performance, and leadership ability, and determine quickly if the individual can be saved, or not (most probably not, then get rid of them the day before yesterday, baring in mind that there are always exceptions to the rule that we may not be aware of), and work yourself down the list. There are plenty of people out of work, looking for an opportunity to prove themselves. This act, will send a clear message to all warehouse employees, you are either a team player, or not. If you are not, then go play elsewhere where you will be happier, since we failed miserably making you happy here.*

Finally, management cannot loose sight of the fact, that in all likelihood they are responsible for taking their eye of the ball. Someone in management, needs to roll up their sleeves, and play a daily active roll until the all warehouse problems/culture have been addressed/restored. This will give management an opportunity to identify problems, and additional needs they may not be aware of, that must be taken into consideration when investing in any kind of system to support department productivity.

But most important, it will give management an opportunity to identify who are your team players, future leaders, and backup leaders.

*About 15 years ago, I was blessed with an opportunity to attend a management training program by the Disney Institute (most, if not all Fortune 500 company's send their best executives to the "Top Gun" of management schools in the industry -well worth the money). Were you aware that ALL Disney executives are required to work two weeks out of the year in park positions such as; Ride Attendants, Servers, Cleaning Tables, Sidewalks, Bathrooms, etc...? This is one of the principle reasons why the Disney Corporation is so successful, management rolling up their sleeves, and playing an active roll in every level, paying close attention to details.

I hope my comments are taken in the spirit in which they were meant.

Wishing your organization much success in all their future endeavors.
              Last edited by William Davis; 10-27-11, 06:46 AM.
              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

You may want to look in the Lancater, PA, area. Lots of choices because it's kind of the center of the world shipping-wise and not too far from Jersey - nice trip and do lunch. I've used the Jay Group in the past with great success. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X