• Time
  • Show
Clear All

MM5 Released

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C54F0F.671329A0
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="us-ascii"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I looks official the beast has been released :)

<A HREF ="http://www.miva.com/">http://www.miva.com/</A>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C54F0F.671329A0--

Re: [m5u] MM5 Released

So when is the next Conference? I'm ready!

Leslie

> I looks official the beast has been released :)
    >
    > <A HREF ="http://www.miva.com/">http://www.miva.com/</A>
    >

Comment

MM5 Released

Finally!,
      We get to have a look ;)
      I see they have a new look for the category pages, is this the default
      Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The admin seems to
      have about the same options as a stock version 4.x store.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
      To: "Miva User Group 4" <[email protected]>; "Miva 5 User
      Group" <[email protected]>
      Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:06 PM
      Subject: [mru] MM5 Released

>I looks official the beast has been released :)
      >
      > <A HREF ="http://www.miva.com/">http://www.miva.com/</A>
      >

Comment

MM5 Released

Jim,

It didn't seem to be the default layout...I was disappointed that there
        was not a choice of layouts to choose from, BUT you can build a "set"
        and it will remember them via the rollback feature. Each time you make a
        change it remembers it and gives you the opportunity to go back. So if
        used wisely you could create seasonal looks that could be changed with a
        click of the mouse!

Leslie <---who is ready for a copy to play with!!!!!!

> Finally!,
        > We get to have a look ;)
        > I see they have a new look for the category pages, is this the default
        > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The admin seems to
        > have about the same options as a stock version 4.x store.
        >
        > Jim

Comment

MM5 Released

On 5/2/05, Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way <[email protected]> wrote:
          > Jim,
          >=20
          > It didn't seem to be the default layout...I was disappointed that there
          > was not a choice of layouts to choose from, BUT you can build a "set"
          > and it will remember them via the rollback feature. Each time you make a
          > change it remembers it and gives you the opportunity to go back. So if
          > used wisely you could create seasonal looks that could be changed with a
          > click of the mouse!
          >=20
          > Leslie <---who is ready for a copy to play with!!!!!!

Got your visa card handy?
          <A HREF ="http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC0002_5/ref/mvdc">http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC0002_5/ref/mvdc</A>
          =20
          >=20
          > > Finally!,
          > > We get to have a look ;)
          > > I see they have a new look for the category pages, is this the default
          > > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The admin seems t=
          o
          > > have about the same options as a stock version 4.x store.
          > >
          > > Jim
          >=20

Comment

OT: Domain Names and SEO

I have one competitor that ranks higher than me on every search term
            that we have in common. Sometimes a lot higher on the more common
            searches, but on the more obscure terms always one rank higher. (FYI, we
            were both competitors before we took our stores online and have had
            friendly relations for many years). I recently noticed that they have
            several domain names pointed at their one site. How/why would this
            effect rankings? Is this something I should do with my 2 unused domains
            names that I still own?

Thanks
            Wesley
            www.desktopdarkroom.com

Comment

MM5 Released

I love it, they have the "OPENUI not required" box. Isn't that funny? Shows
              how important OPENUI has been to users.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
              To: "Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way" <[email protected]>
              Cc: "Jim Cockerham" <[email protected]>; "Miva User List"
              <[email protected]>
              Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:39 AM
              Subject: Re: [mru] MM5 Released

On 5/2/05, Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way <[email protected]> wrote:
              > Jim,
              >
              > It didn't seem to be the default layout...I was disappointed that there
              > was not a choice of layouts to choose from, BUT you can build a "set"
              > and it will remember them via the rollback feature. Each time you make a
              > change it remembers it and gives you the opportunity to go back. So if
              > used wisely you could create seasonal looks that could be changed with a
              > click of the mouse!
              >
              > Leslie <---who is ready for a copy to play with!!!!!!

<A HREF ="http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC0002_5/ref/mvdc">http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC0002_5/ref/mvdc</A>

>
              > > Finally!,
              > > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The admin seems to
              > >
              > > Jim
              >

Comment

MM5 Released

I'm still waiting for anyone to come forward and actually talk specifics
                about MM5 and to compare features with what's available in MM4 with various
                modules. What are the real improvements? What do you lose? I asked about
                this yesterday but got no responses.

There was lots of hype about how incredible the new version would be before
                it was released and it seems to have been talked up quite a bit at the
                conference last weekend. Now that it's out and no one can just say, "Sorry.
                Can't answer that. NDA." It seems that no one who's actually used the new
                version wants to talk about it.

I'm sure many partners have simply been busy and I certainly understand that
                but it would be nice if at least a few of those who have been hyping this
                would take some time to discuss the real facts so the rest of us can see
                what the hype's based on.

Dan
                Impulse Creations

For low priced back issue comics and the very best in service visit us at
                www.impulsecreations.net and be sure to look for information on our
                discounted subscription service with free bags and free shipping!

-----Original Message-----
                [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Bill Guindon
                Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:40 AM
                To: Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way
                Cc: Jim Cockerham; Miva User List
                Subject: Re: [mru] MM5 Released

>
                > > Finally!,
                > > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The admin seems to
                > >
                > > Jim
                >

Comment

MM5 Released

I will when and if I decide to upgrade. Until then, those who plan to make
                  money from MM5 would benefit by taking some time to help sell it to existing
                  MM4 users on this list.

Dan
                  Impulse Creations

[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Bill Gilligan
                  Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:02 AM
                  To: 'mivalist'
                  Cc: 'Miva User List'
                  Subject: RE: [mru] MM5 Released

Join the MM5 list...

=============================
                  Bill Gilligan
                  Gilligan On-Line
                  www.gilliganonline.com
                  850-233-8775

> -----Original Message-----
                  > From: [email protected]
                  > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mivalist
                  > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:56 AM
                  > Cc: Miva User List
                  > Subject: RE: [mru] MM5 Released
                  >
                  > I'm still waiting for anyone to come forward and actually
                  > talk specifics
                  > about MM5 and to compare features with what's available in
                  > MM4 with various
                  > modules. What are the real improvements? What do you lose? I
                  > asked about
                  > this yesterday but got no responses.
                  >
                  > There was lots of hype about how incredible the new version
                  > would be before
                  > it was released and it seems to have been talked up quite a bit at the
                  > conference last weekend. Now that it's out and no one can
                  > just say, "Sorry.
                  > Can't answer that. NDA." It seems that no one who's actually
                  > used the new
                  > version wants to talk about it.
                  >
                  > I'm sure many partners have simply been busy and I certainly
                  > understand that
                  > but it would be nice if at least a few of those who have been
                  > hyping this
                  > would take some time to discuss the real facts so the rest of
                  > us can see
                  > what the hype's based on.
                  >
                  > Dan
                  > Impulse Creations
                  >
                  > For low priced back issue comics and the very best in service
                  > visit us at
                  > www.impulsecreations.net and be sure to look for information on our
                  > discounted subscription service with free bags and free shipping!
                  >
                  > [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
                  > Bill Guindon
                  > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:40 AM
                  > To: Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way
                  > Cc: Jim Cockerham; Miva User List
                  > Subject: Re: [mru] MM5 Released
                  > Got your visa card handy?
                  > <A HREF ="http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000">http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000</A>
                  > 2_5/ref/mvdc
                  >
                  > >
                  > > > Finally!,
                  > > > We get to have a look ;)
                  > > > I see they have a new look for the category pages, is
                  > this the default
                  > > > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The
                  > admin seems to
                  > > > have about the same options as a stock version 4.x store.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jim
                  > >

Comment

OT: Domain Names and SEO

Wesley Copple wrote:
                    > I have one competitor that ranks higher than me on every search term
                    > that we have in common. Sometimes a lot higher on the more common
                    > searches, but on the more obscure terms always one rank higher. (FYI, we
                    > were both competitors before we took our stores online and have had
                    > friendly relations for many years). I recently noticed that they have
                    > several domain names pointed at their one site. How/why would this
                    > effect rankings? Is this something I should do with my 2 unused domains
                    > names that I still own?

Wesley,

Google's algorithm, called PageRank, determines a pages score based upon
                    many variables, one of them being how many other sites link to it.
                    However, this is causing Google major problems, as you can imagine,
                    since all one needs to do is register more domain names and make them
                    link to the real target site. Google is aware of this and I would not
                    recommend doing it, as it will lower your score in the very near future.
                    This is exactly the reason Google became ICANN accredited so that now
                    they can "mine" the whois database and determine if those extra domains
                    linking to the real site are indeed legitimate sites or just scammers
                    trying to increase their PageRank score. Check out Google's patents on
                    PageRank: 6,754,873; 6,725,259; 6,529,903; 6,526,440.

Evan

Comment

MM5 Released

mivalist wrote:
                      >
                      > I'm still waiting for anyone to come forward and actually talk specifics
                      > about MM5 and to compare features with what's available in MM4 with various
                      > modules. What are the real improvements? What do you lose? I asked about

I think Miva Corp wanted discussions about MM5 confined to the
                      merchant5-users list.

--
                      Bill Weiland A2Z Emporium Plus <A HREF ="http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc ">http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc </A>
                      Modules for eCommerce. Mail Mgr, Coupon, PayPal, Froogle/Yahoo feeds
                      Rate This, Gift/Wish List, Wait List Mgr, EZ Batch, Shipping & more
                      Online Documentation <A HREF ="http://www.emporiumplus.com/docs">http://www.emporiumplus.com/docs</A>
                      Question <A HREF ="http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodule_wcw.mvc?Screen=SPTS ">http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS </A>
                      |

Comment

MM5 Released

I've asked many times about conditionals but that couldn't be answered until
                        now. Can various screen elements appear or not appear based on the screen
                        being viewed, logged in/out status, items in cart, etc.? Basically, how much
                        (if any) OUI functionality is lost in MM5. Everyone kept saying how great it
                        was going to be as OUI would be obsolete. Is it all true? Does MM5 do
                        everything OUI did but better and faster? Is it all that and a bag of chips?

I pretty much assume that any MM4 modules that currently exist will either
                        be made available for MM5 or won't be needed due to new MM features so I
                        don't expect that to really be an issue before long. The real question is,
                        what could you do with MM4 that you can't do with MM5? Is there anything?

Dan
                        Impulse Creations

[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Chuck Lasker -
                        DoublePlus
                        To: 'Miva User List'

There's not much to say beyond what Miva has put out. It's all there. The
                        admin demo, the screen shots, the explanations. If it's not there, it's not
                        in MM5. With 2000+ modules available for MM4, and a whopping 50 or so
                        modules available for MM5, a point by point comparison is just not
                        practical.

Do you have specific functionality questions?

Chuck

>
                        > talk specifics
                        > MM4 with various
                        > asked about
                        >
                        > would be before
                        > just say, "Sorry.
                        > used the new
                        >
                        > understand that
                        > hyping this
                        > us can see
                        >
                        > Dan
                        > Impulse Creations
                        >
                        > visit us at
                        >
                        > Bill Guindon
                        > <A HREF ="http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000">http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000</A>
                        2_5/ref/mvdc
                        >
                        > >
                        > > > Finally!,
                        > this the default
                        > admin seems to
                        > > >
                        > > > Jim
                        > >

Comment

MM5 Released

On 5/3/05, mivalist <[email protected]> wrote:
                          > I've asked many times about conditionals but that couldn't be answered un=
                          til
                          > now. Can various screen elements appear or not appear based on the screen
                          > being viewed, logged in/out status, items in cart, etc.? Basically, how m=
                          uch
                          > (if any) OUI functionality is lost in MM5. Everyone kept saying how great=
                          it
                          > was going to be as OUI would be obsolete. Is it all true? Does MM5 do
                          > everything OUI did but better and faster? Is it all that and a bag of chi=
                          ps?
                          >=20
                          > I pretty much assume that any MM4 modules that currently exist will eithe=
                          r
                          > be made available for MM5 or won't be needed due to new MM features so I
                          > don't expect that to really be an issue before long. The real question is=
                          > what could you do with MM4 that you can't do with MM5? Is there anything?

http://smallbusiness.miva.com/produc...mm5/admin.mvc?

Expand a store at random, click the 'Pages' link, edit a page at
                          random (I chose account). You'll see things similar to the following:

=09=09<mvt:if expr=3D"g.Order">
                          =09=09=09<input type=3D"hidden" name=3D"Screen" value=3D"OINF">
                          =09=09<mvt:else>
                          =09=09=09<input type=3D"hidden" name=3D"Screen" value=3D"SFNT">
                          =09=09</mvt:if>

=20
                          > Dan
                          > Impulse Creations
                          >=20
                          > For low priced back issue comics and the very best in service visit us at
                          >=20
                          > [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Chuck Lasker -
                          > DoublePlus
                          > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:02 AM
                          > To: 'Miva User List'
                          >=20
                          > There's not much to say beyond what Miva has put out. It's all there. The
                          > admin demo, the screen shots, the explanations. If it's not there, it's n=
                          ot
                          > in MM5. With 2000+ modules available for MM4, and a whopping 50 or so
                          > modules available for MM5, a point by point comparison is just not
                          > practical.
                          >=20
                          > Do you have specific functionality questions?
                          >=20
                          > Chuck
                          >=20
                          > > -----Original Message-----
                          > > From: [email protected]
                          > > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mivalist
                          > > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:56 AM
                          > > Cc: Miva User List
                          > > Subject: RE: [mru] MM5 Released
                          > >
                          > > I'm still waiting for anyone to come forward and actually
                          > > talk specifics
                          > > about MM5 and to compare features with what's available in
                          > > MM4 with various
                          > > modules. What are the real improvements? What do you lose? I
                          > > asked about
                          > > this yesterday but got no responses.
                          > >
                          > > There was lots of hype about how incredible the new version
                          > > would be before
                          > > it was released and it seems to have been talked up quite a bit at the
                          > > conference last weekend. Now that it's out and no one can
                          > > just say, "Sorry.
                          > > Can't answer that. NDA." It seems that no one who's actually
                          > > used the new
                          > > version wants to talk about it.
                          > >
                          > > I'm sure many partners have simply been busy and I certainly
                          > > understand that
                          > > but it would be nice if at least a few of those who have been
                          > > hyping this
                          > > would take some time to discuss the real facts so the rest of
                          > > us can see
                          > > what the hype's based on.
                          > >
                          > > Dan
                          > > Impulse Creations
                          > >
                          > > For low priced back issue comics and the very best in service
                          > > visit us at
                          > > www.impulsecreations.net and be sure to look for information on our
                          > > discounted subscription service with free bags and free shipping!
                          > >

--=20
                          Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Comment

MM5 Released

I had a look at the code and would answer your question with YES. They use a
                            similar language as OpenUI or better MivaScript (MVT - MivaTemplate).

Andreas Toman
                            PCINET, LLC
                            Miva Development, Installation & Upgrade
                            "E-commerce is the next step in the evolution ..."
                            www.pcinet-llc.com

[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mivalist
                            Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 12:23 PM

I've asked many times about conditionals but that couldn't be answered until
                            now. Can various screen elements appear or not appear based on the screen
                            being viewed, logged in/out status, items in cart, etc.? Basically, how much
                            (if any) OUI functionality is lost in MM5. Everyone kept saying how great it
                            was going to be as OUI would be obsolete. Is it all true? Does MM5 do
                            everything OUI did but better and faster? Is it all that and a bag of chips?

I pretty much assume that any MM4 modules that currently exist will either
                            be made available for MM5 or won't be needed due to new MM features so I
                            don't expect that to really be an issue before long. The real question is,
                            what could you do with MM4 that you can't do with MM5? Is there anything?

Dan
                            Impulse Creations

DoublePlus

There's not much to say beyond what Miva has put out. It's all there. The
                            admin demo, the screen shots, the explanations. If it's not there, it's not
                            in MM5. With 2000+ modules available for MM4, and a whopping 50 or so
                            modules available for MM5, a point by point comparison is just not
                            practical.

Do you have specific functionality questions?

Chuck

>
                            > talk specifics
                            > MM4 with various
                            > asked about
                            >
                            > would be before
                            > just say, "Sorry.
                            > used the new
                            >
                            > understand that
                            > hyping this
                            > us can see
                            >
                            > Dan
                            > Impulse Creations
                            >
                            > visit us at
                            >
                            > Bill Guindon
                            2_5/ref/mvdc
                            >
                            > >
                            > > > Finally!,
                            > this the default
                            > admin seems to
                            > > >
                            > > > Jim
                            > >

Comment

MM5 Released

I don't think you really made it a point to promote it before the release
                              either so I can understand your position. Others did actively promote it
                              though.

I also agree that it isn't a good idea to upgrade yet. I'm just looking for
                              some information to use to plan ahead. There's no sense in investing much
                              more in my MM4 store if I'll soon either upgrade or switch to another cart.
                              Some information to base that decision on would be helpful.

Dan
                              Impulse Creations

DoublePlus
                              Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:10 AM

I strongly believe that most MM4 users should not upgrade to MM5 yet. New
                              sites that don't need an affiliate program and other sophisticated
                              functionality - who only need the basic store with some look and feel
                              modifications - should try it out. But unless an MM4 store is pretty basic,
                              with few or no third party modules, they probably should just wait a while
                              until the third party developers catch up, in my opinion. So I'm not
                              promoting MM5 at all right now...

Chuck

> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:07 AM
                              > Cc: 'Miva User List'
                              >
                              > I will when and if I decide to upgrade. Until then, those who
                              > plan to make
                              > money from MM5 would benefit by taking some time to help sell
                              > it to existing
                              > MM4 users on this list.
                              >
                              > Dan
                              > Impulse Creations
                              >
                              > visit us at
                              >
                              > Bill Gilligan
                              > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:02 AM
                              > To: 'mivalist'
                              > Cc: 'Miva User List'
                              >
                              > Join the MM5 list...
                              >
                              > =============================
                              > Bill Gilligan
                              > Gilligan On-Line
                              > www.gilliganonline.com
                              > 850-233-8775
                              >
                              > > [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mivalist
                              > > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:56 AM
                              > > Cc: Miva User List
                              > > Subject: RE: [mru] MM5 Released
                              > >
                              > > I'm still waiting for anyone to come forward and actually
                              > > talk specifics
                              > > about MM5 and to compare features with what's available in
                              > > MM4 with various
                              > > modules. What are the real improvements? What do you lose? I
                              > > asked about
                              > > this yesterday but got no responses.
                              > >
                              > > There was lots of hype about how incredible the new version
                              > > would be before
                              > > it was released and it seems to have been talked up quite a
                              > bit at the
                              > > conference last weekend. Now that it's out and no one can
                              > > just say, "Sorry.
                              > > Can't answer that. NDA." It seems that no one who's actually
                              > > used the new
                              > > version wants to talk about it.
                              > >
                              > > I'm sure many partners have simply been busy and I certainly
                              > > understand that
                              > > but it would be nice if at least a few of those who have been
                              > > hyping this
                              > > would take some time to discuss the real facts so the rest of
                              > > us can see
                              > > what the hype's based on.
                              > >
                              > > Dan
                              > > Impulse Creations
                              > >
                              > > For low priced back issue comics and the very best in service
                              > > visit us at
                              > > www.impulsecreations.net and be sure to look for information on our
                              > > discounted subscription service with free bags and free shipping!
                              > >
                              > > [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
                              > > Bill Guindon
                              > > Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:40 AM
                              > > To: Leslie Nord - Webs Your Way
                              > > Cc: Jim Cockerham; Miva User List
                              > > Subject: Re: [mru] MM5 Released
                              > > Got your visa card handy?
                              > > <A HREF ="http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000">http://www.mivacentral.com/page/m/PROD/MIVA+MM+-x/MIVA-MERC000</A>
                              > > 2_5/ref/mvdc
                              > >
                              > > >
                              > > > > Finally!,
                              > > > > We get to have a look ;)
                              > > > > I see they have a new look for the category pages, is
                              > > this the default
                              > > > > Merchant 5 category layout? I don't see any options. The
                              > > admin seems to
                              > > > > have about the same options as a stock version 4.x store.
                              > > > >
                              > > > > Jim
                              > > >

Comment

Working...
                              X