X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
    meanwhile, i've got 3 to 1 odds that google drops this before 2022. :) its probably the most non-sensible metric google has ever issued. while i get what its attempt is, its practicality is zero.
    Well, Bruce, pay up, you lose. This stuff is an absolute mess to deal with. Google even dings you for their code.

usyFLS.png

But this is just awful

KVYb6A.png

The Performance just sucks. Everything else is great.

DhKynJ.png

When Google PageSpeed Insights is what store owners use (and want fixed) that's what you try to fix because it's what Google uses to tell them

​​​​​​CLS issue: more than 0.25 (mobile)
    URLs with this issue provide a poor page experience
    Please take note, this thread was started in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• cpp-dev
    replied
    Originally posted by lesliekirk View Post
    Some thought had been given to converting to all HTML pages but Merchant Optimizer is EOL.
    Perhaps tapping into the JSON API with a Static Site Generator could be useful there?

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by cpp-dev View Post
    Apologies lesliekirk , to be clear I'm referring to the inherent multipath nature of the internet. Not all paths are created equal and sometimes a connection maybe fast one time and slow at others. This will still affect Cloudflare, because the service will still need to direct the visitor to the originating server.

I'm fairly sure you are aware of this, I think I just phrased it poorly.
    Naw, I'm just pushing my multi-tasking a bit too far. In the meantime, we are doing some testing with CloudFlare off - today's results seem to be fair but steady, nine of the wild fluctuations. Some thought had been given to converting to all HTML pages but Merchant Optimizer is EOL.

Leave a comment:

• cpp-dev
    replied
    Apologies lesliekirk , to be clear I'm referring to the inherent multipath nature of the internet. Not all paths are created equal and sometimes a connection maybe fast one time and slow at others. This will still affect Cloudflare, because the service will still need to direct the visitor to the originating server.

I'm fairly sure you are aware of this, I think I just phrased it poorly.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by cpp-dev View Post
    Cloudflare is going to help you survive traffic spikes and outages, but if your server is not talking to Cloudflare at full speed, it will still appear to be slow.

And yeah I've seen some fairly wild swings in Lighthouse scores due to the state of the interconnects.

We don't use cloudflare, but in general I've seen the rating go up and down.
    How does one go about "talking to Cloudflare at full speed"? I must have mistakenly "assumed" that the intent of something like CloudFlare was to improve website speed as part of Google's overall demands.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    It looks like the rollout has been pushed until mid-June 2021 [ https://developers.google.com/search...age-experience ]. Smashing Magazine also published a piece [ https://mailchi.mp/smashingmagazine/...e?e=7b164cc7da ], see "3. Not Every Lighthouse Is The Same", with some interesting information on how the different services work.

Leave a comment:

• cpp-dev
    replied
    Cloudflare is going to help you survive traffic spikes and outages, but if your server is not talking to Cloudflare at full speed, it will still appear to be slow.

And yeah I've seen some fairly wild swings in Lighthouse scores due to the state of the interconnects.

We don't use cloudflare, but in general I've seen the rating go up and down.
    Last edited by cpp-dev; 04-15-21, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Not sure if it relates to your issue, but the other day, while doing speed optimizations, I was doing Page Speed Metric along with GTmetrix testing. GT provides a 'waterfall' network connection view. I notice both reports occasionally reporting WAY out of line metrics...turns out it was due to a 'social media' aggregator script going from .36 ms to 2, 3 seconds.
    Do you have an example of the script? This site only seems to have the default links to social media but there may be something under the hood that I may have missed.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce - PhosphorMedia
    replied
    Not sure if it relates to your issue, but the other day, while doing speed optimizations, I was doing Page Speed Metric along with GTmetrix testing. GT provides a 'waterfall' network connection view. I notice both reports occasionally reporting WAY out of line metrics...turns out it was due to a 'social media' aggregator script going from .36 ms to 2, 3 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    I'd like to follow up on this (and may need to start a new thread). I have been going around in circles trying to figure out why early in the morning the site performance is fantastic but then later in the day I have seen the performance drop off to 25 (yes, twenty-five). I've opened a support ticket because I and the SEO team working on the site are concerned that it might be server-related. The support response noted that "slow routing between Google and Cloudflare could cause that flag" (the flag was for the Opportunity to reduce the initial server response time). The reply has left me scratching my head. I thought the whole point of using a CDN was to "provide fast delivery of Internet content". Why would it be slowing the site down?

So, with that said, is anyone else getting crappy Lighthouse results and are using Cloudflare? Do your results vary throughout the day? I've actually got someone who is going to perform tests throughout the day and track it for a week. Now I wonder if those same tests need to be performed with Cloudflare turned off.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    meanwhile, i've got 3 to 1 odds that google drops this before 2022. :) its probably the most non-sensible metric google has ever issued. while i get what its attempt is, its practicality is zero.
    Not that I'm going to bet on this being dropped, there is an awful lot of effort on Google's part to get this incorporated. The whole concept is to improve the user experience. It does seem like it's a step backwards from Responsive design as I'm now wondering if I need to start having multiple image sizes (or at least 2) for each image - one for the mobile version and one for the desktop. At least the mobile version is getting better (from web.dev/measure/}
    idrfMl.png

But I need to find out where the 2 instances of [email protected] are coming from to improve the Best Practices and remove "Some third-party scripts may contain known security vulnerabilities that are easily identified and exploited by attackers."

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Zimmermann View Post
    Hi Leslie,

Like with Shadows 2, there will not be a direct update path.
    Sigh...

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    Hi Leslie,

Like with Shadows 2, there will not be a direct update path.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Zimmermann View Post
    Hi Leslie,

Colossus v2 should be sometime 2021 Q1...probably nearer the end.
    Will we be able to easily apply the changes/differences/additions to an existing version of Colossus? If so, will detailed how-to instructions be provided? To be able to do something like this would be HUGE!

Leave a comment:

• Bruce - PhosphorMedia
    replied
    well, amp actually made some sense esp. on phones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X