Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer Password Encryption and Email Login Module from Miva Merchant Available FREE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customer Password Encryption and Email Login Module from Miva Merchant Available FREE

As of today our Customer Password Encryption and Email Login Module is available for free at Miva Central.

Previously this was only available as a Gem to our Service Club members but we've now decided to release this to the broader Miva Merchant community, free of charge.

You can find the module here: http://www.mivacentral.com/Merchant2...de=MIVA-CPEELM

Here's what the module does for you:

This module allows you to accomplish two specific tasks in your Miva Merchant store:

• It allows your customers to login with either their Login name or their Email address.

• It replaces the current Forgot Customer Email process, which previously emailed customers a copy of their password; with a new secure password reset mechanism.

• Customer Passwords are now stored Encrypted in the database when updated via the Secure Password Reset email or via the Customer Account Screens from the Shopping interface (passwords set via Admin are still unencrypted)
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Re: Customer Password Encryption and Email Login Module from Miva Merchant Available

Out of curiousity? Is this module installed on Miva Central?

Comment

Re: Customer Password Encryption and Email Login Module from Miva Merchant Available

Curious why you chose not to encrypt old passwords and if the admin area limitation is on purpose or if its a module restriction.

Comment

Out of curiousity? Is this module installed on Miva Central?
        No, Miva Central is a 4.x store and we don't have this module for 4.x

Curious why you chose not to encrypt old passwords and if the admin area limitation is on purpose or if its a module restriction.
        Generally speaking too high a risk of failure because the database size could be quite large and the process is fairly CPU intensive, so for a simple module it was too risky.

We might automatically do that during a future PR update where we have much more control in the streaming process, but we haven't finalized that one way or the other.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Do you have it installed on any of your sample stores perhaps? I'd like to see it in action before installing.

Comment

It's in use at www.mivamerchant.com if you'd like to see how it works.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Hi Rick: Installed this on our DEV site. After getting and following the reset password link in the email I get:
              The password reset link you followed is invalid on the resultant Miva page.

I think I followed the instructs correctly.
              Larry
              Larry
              Luce Kanun Web Design
              www.facebook.com/wajake41
              www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
                Hi Rick: Installed this on our DEV site. After getting and following the reset password link in the email I get:
                The password reset link you followed is invalid on the resultant Miva page.

I think I followed the instructs correctly.
                Larry
                Larry,

Does the link match your dev store URL? Since you're hosted with Hostasaurus we can take a closer look if you open a ticket. If you would like to open a ticket just email [email protected] and include a link to your post in the body.
                Jim McCormick
                Miva Merchant Support
                866-284-9812

Comment

Hey Guys,

I added this to our dev site a week or so ago and it works great.

I found that after I copied over the customer data from the live site, overwriting s01_customers in dev, that the password reset always got an invalid password error. There must be something in that db table required by the module. Disabling and re-enabling the module fixed the issue. Maybe it would be better to just use the miva import/export function for customer data?

Just fyi,

Cheers!
                  Ron Frigon
                  Jedi Webmaster Obi-Ron Kenobi

Comment

Hi Ron: Thanks for your reply however, I'm puzzled by your post. Have you found that the password encryption works or doesn't work on your site? Can't tell exactly from your post.
                    If it's OK, have you moved it from your DEV site to your production site? Finally are you a MMUI or CSSUI store.
                    Thanks again for your response, Larry
                    Larry
                    Luce Kanun Web Design
                    www.facebook.com/wajake41
                    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Hi Larry,
                      The module is working just fine. No problem after I disabled then re-enabled the module.

I'm converting a store from MMUI to CSSUI. I have it working in the DEV CSSUI store. I havn't tried it in our MMUI stores yet.

I was taking a dry run before going live, importing all of our customer and order data etc. This broke the module, or at least overwrote something in the database that the module needed.

Cheers!
                      Ron Frigon
                      Jedi Webmaster Obi-Ron Kenobi

Comment

How are the passwords encrypted by this module? Specifically, are they encrypted in a way they can be decrypted if necessary - similar to how order data is encrypted and decrypted if one knows the decryption phrase?
                        Thank you,

Comment

No you can't decrypt them, but the customer can trigger a reset process to go to their email address.
                          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                          CEO
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]

Comment

So, for the case where we want to use the username/password pairs in Miva db in other applications, how are the encrypted passwords stored (e.g. simple md5)?

Comment

It's not possible to do that.

The passwords are salted with 16 bytes of random data and SHA1 encrypted. SHA1 is a one-way algorithm.
                              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                              CEO
                              Miva, Inc.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X