In Memory of Luray Williams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Memory of Luray Williams...

Luray Williams, a long-time friend of the MIVA Merchant community, passed away Saturday.

Many users knew Luray (Santa Fe Mall) as the guy behind the "wizard" modules for OpenUI stores. Developers and designers knew him as a stand-up guy who vied to provide more tools to store owners in the areas of display and functionality.

If you ever attended a MIVA Conference, Luray was hard to miss. He was the gray-haired skinny guy, donning a western shirt and blue jeans, telling you like it is. He had many stories to share, most of which would shoot you into a bout of laughter.

As you got closer to him, though, you found Luray represented something most ideal. He didn't use his downfalls in life as a crutch, but rather threw them to the side to embark on grander things. He entered the MIVA community simply because he was bored with retirement. He'd install, for a fair price, portions of Bill Weiland's Tool Kit. Realizing a need for more custom work and further module development, Luray teamed up with a few others, which led him to delve into the OpenUI and develop his line of wizard modules. He steadfastly continued developing modules through MIVA Merchant version 4.24, and until this weekend, continued to perform installations and customizations via his Santa Fe Mall store, and DesignExtend.com. He often worked--in some form--seven days a week, with no regard to keeping actual hours. If a user needed an urgent fix, he was there to take care of it right away.

Some users were taken aback by Luray's "tell it like it is" philosophy. He never sugar-coated his answers and he expected you to listen to what he said. He was also a very giving person, rarely passing up a request for help, whether it be assistance on a store or just an ear to listen to a problem. He cared about people and he cared about what he did.

Luray is survived by his twelve-year-old daughter and he was a prime example of how parents should spend time with their children. He quite often traveled hundreds of miles to spend time with her, and he was certain to make sure she knew her father loved her more than anything.

Luray's passing was sudden. He had worked on installations, as usual, through Friday. He had spoken with many of his close community friends during last week (which was also a usual ritual).

For those who knew him simply as the "wizard" guy - perhaps you had him install a few modules and fix your store's layout - know that he did all this because he enjoyed doing so.

For his longtime clients, I'm certain there was a special relationship forged. He probably knew your children's names and where you went on vacation last year. You probably knew what kind of truck he drove. He spoke about such things because he wanted to.

For his close friends, undoubtedly his passing is something that's going to take time to deal with. You don't meet a guy like Luray every day - a guy who likes you for who you are; a guy who understands and accepts your dilemmas, but still tells you that you must get back on your feet; a guy who trusts you and doesn't care why you needed a specific favor, because asking for it was hard enough.

Luray. He fixed our stores. He became our friend. He affected our lives. Something tells me it doesn't end here. I know I'll often find myself hearing his voice when I make a move to do something stupid, or his laughter when I make some life-changing discovery. I'm sure many of us will. He was just that kind of guy.
    Best,
    Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
    Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
    Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
    pamelahazelton.com

Re: In Memory of Luray Williams...

Please share my condolences with his family. Luray will most surely be missed.
    William Gilligan - Orange Marmalade, Inc.
    www.OrangeMarmaladeinc.com

Comment

When Luray's brother-in-law called me, I could not believe what he was telling me. Luray was always such a vibrant personality. I couldn't imagine a time when he would not be here.

I've read Pamela's post over several times now and it has finally sunk in; one of my very best friends is gone. Retired from the military, Luray believed in honor and discipline in his daily life. You could always count on him. When I asked him last summer if he would cover for me so I could take a break, he readily stepped up to the plate. He saw it as an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of Merchant 5. I don't know how many times I thanked him, but it was not enough.

Luray was a true gentleman in the MIVA community; I will miss him greatly.
      Bill Weiland - Emporium Plus http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc
      Online Documentation http://www.emporiumplus.com/tk3/v3/doc.htm
      Question http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS
      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EmporiumPlus
      Twitter http://twitter.com/emporiumplus

Comment

Farewell

R.I.P Luray Williams...

DesignExtend.com has lost a team member, and the MIVA Merchant community has lost a dear friend. Luray Williams passed away Saturday.
        Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
        Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Re: Farewell

:(

When and how it happened?
          -------------------
          Kanu Pandey

Comment

The community has indeed lost someone great.

I am shocked and saddened by this news.

I remember the first time I met Luray...he was the very first person to welcome me and "show me around" at the very first MIVA Conference, my business partner Kristen and I attended back in 2003.

We felt out of place and didn't know a soul...even though some knew of us from our posts on the old MIVA Users List. Luray took the time to introduce himself and helped us make the rounds....pointing out and introducing us to many of the key players in MIVA and the community - many of whom we share great professional relationships with to this day.

Over the years, we developed a wonderful working relationship. When we had customers having trouble with modules, or needed help finding a way around a problem in a custom module we were writing - he'd always remind me he was just a phone call away. Sometimes he'd call or I'd call him just to chat and catch up.

Over the next few years, more of my staff met him - and remarked at what a wonderful person he was to be around and to talk with.

More so now than at the time, I regret he did not make it to this last MIVA Conference. He is always such a pleasure.

If you knew the man, you could easily see there was something very special about him. He was one of a kind...and will indeed be missed.

Comment

He will be missed.

http://www.designextend.com/blog/?p=62

Comment

Originally posted by Kanu

When and how it happened?
                Kanu:

Luray died yesterday of a heart attack. He was not ill.
                Best,
                Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I didn't interact with him too regularly but it was a pleasure working with Luray when our paths crossed over the past six or seven years. I wish his family the best and I'm definitely sorry to see him go.
                  David Hubbard
                  CIO
                  Miva
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.miva.com

Comment

I have no words, just a sad place in my heart. Godspeed Luray you are a true gentleman. Thank you for the few moment in time that I was able to share with you.
                    Leslie
                    www.lesliekirk.com | Twitter | Facebook
                    Past Web Production Manager for eMediaSales
                    Previously of www.websyourway.com
                    Forum Moderator lesliekirk
                    Miva Merchant and more ... since 1997

Comment

Now Heaven has a new angle that will forever watch over us and protect us. My Prayers are with Luray and his family.
                      -------------------
                      Kanu Pandey

Comment

Many of you have asked where to send cards. The address is:

Luray Williams Family
                        6201 Sabre Ct. NW
                        Albuquerque NM 87107-5739

The family has asked for no flowers, and for those who'd like to send anything there is a memorial fund: Luray Williams Memorial (mail to same address).
                        Best,
                        Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I only had a few conversations with Luray and only one in person. But that is enough that I really do feel sad to hear about his passing, because he was that likeable a person. Like you Vic, I found myself a little out of place in the conference in 2003 and Luray picked up my spirits with a friendly chat--though he didn't know me from Adam.

Mark

Comment

What a total drag.

Luray was literally the very first person in the Miva community I ever did business with, some 6+ years ago when I decided to quit my office job and go it alone as a web developer. One of my first private clients was running a miva cart and needed some custom functionality. I found Luray and hired him to write a custom module.

It worked great, was reasonably priced and he got it done quickly. Later on when it needed some modifications he was more than accomodating in helping me understand mivascript and make little changes.

As time passed and I became more immersed in working with Miva and began tackling scripting on my own, he would answer my stupid scripting questions by direct email from time to time when solutions eluded me.

Sad news about a great guy.

Adam
                            Now on sale!

Shorter Checkout for Miva 4 and 5
                            Swap attribute images and price totals
                            Category Bubbles popup displays

First Man Media
                            http://www.firstmanmedia.com
                            Custom designs incorporating Flash
                            Specializing in Miva Merchant E-commerce

Comment

I remember the first time I really got a chance to talk with Luray. Like a few others, it was at the 2003 Conference. We were waiting around at that awful conference site (Marina Village) after all the sessions, waiting for the dinner cruise to start. I offered him a ride over to the Bahia.

At first I thought it would be awkward. What am I going to talk to this guy about? I barely know him. But that was completely not the case. He was such a kind guy and so easy to talk to. We stood around waiting for everyone to show up for the cruise and just chatted. He definitely had his opinions about things, but I thought that was great. :)

Luray, you will be missed...
                              Jimmy Cooper - "Still a Mivite at heart..."

Comment

Working...
                              X