Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: openui.org has expired

Originally posted by monkeyevil View Post
    None of it's a big deal, I just need to find the time to make the change.
    Or the money...

Comment

Originally posted by chucklasker View Post
      Or the money...
      I do some design work on the side, but the brick layers house isn't made of brick... and if it is, it's half done. lol
      www.jcroffroad.com

Comment

My move from MM4 to MM5 was initially very frustrating because I too had become proficient with Tokens and Designer. I made the transition kicking and screaming the whole way.

The first thing I did was install Bills Toolkit; the second was to write an assign function simply to evaluate expressions. That function has evolved into my ToolBelt module.

With so many great features in MM5.5 Aka PR7 AKA wombat, Plus the addition of one or both of these modules you will find you have more power now than you do with your current setup, and it will be faster, and more robust, and more secure and and and ...

The effort will be worth the pain.
        Ray Yates
        "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
        --- Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

...because I too had become proficient with Tokens and Designer.
          Ray is being modest here. For quite some time, he was THE SOURCE for how to do things with OUI tokens. He had the most understandable list of how OUI tokens worked. I am sure I would have abandoned Merchant long ago if he hadn't been so kind to share his knowledge about tokens with other merchants.

With so many great features in MM5.5 Aka PR7 AKA wombat, Plus the addition of one or both of these modules you will find you have more power now than you do with your current setup, and it will be faster, and more robust, and more secure and and and ...
          Plus PR 8 is on the way... you can hear the whistle blowing if you listen closely. and that promises to have lots more new and exciting features.

And once you get the hang of store morph and see what the toolKit / ToolBelt modules that Ray mentioned are capable of doing, you will be KICKING yourself for not upgrading sooner.

My only suggestion is START LEARNING CSS NOW because you will definitely want to use a CSS based store (there are two flavors of stores; one is table based, and the layout is somewhat similar to Merchant 4 stores, and the other is a CSS based store). Learning as much as you can about CSS now is a good thing because there is NO documentation from Miva on how to use CSS to change the look and feel of your store (although Rick Wilson says there will be some resources coming soon).

Also, check out the www.merchanttutorials.com site and you will be able to see videos of Merchant 5. You'll get a quick intro to the similarities and differences between Merchant 4 and Merchant 5.

One last bit of advice for when you make the plunge to Merchant 5:

Pay very close attention to the licensing policies of the different module developers. You will find that there is quite a bit of "diversity" in terms of the cost of support, how long support lasts, how much module upgrades cost, etc...

Fortunately, toolKit / ToolBelt will help eliminate the need for numerous modules.
          Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 02-14-11, 11:15 PM.
          Mark Romero
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ohhh... so it's MY FAULT so people haven't moved off OpenUI yet. <grin>
            Ray Yates
            "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
            --- Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by chucklasker View Post
              Or the money...
              The money is irrelevant. Even with the current state of access to funds for small businesses, I think the case could be made that, if you can't afford to invest in upgrading your business/site, then you might consider a new business or other line of work.

With Merchant5, you are going to have capabilities that can dramatically improve your business. Every thing from better search engine profiles, the ability to give your customers a MUCH better shopping experience, and the extra time the added flexibility and feature enhancements to the Merchant admin provide, should grow your business well beyond the cost of upgrading--even if you are paying someone else to do it.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Ohhh... so it's MY FAULT so people haven't moved off OpenUI yet. <grin>
                Yes, Ray, you have been an "enabler." :)
                Mark Romero
                ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X