No announcement yet.

Gilligan's Google Analytics Module for 5/5.5 is now FREE at Miva Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gilligan's Google Analytics Module for 5/5.5 is now FREE at Miva Central

I had what seem to be the same issue.

Did you remember to set up your google analytics account for it too?
    You can't just do the work in the Miva Merchant store.

here is a link to the google info about what you need to do there.
    https://www.google.com/support/googl...y?answer=75817

you have to tell is the search query string is "search"
    at least on my store it is.
    You can just use your store front like a visitor... do a search.

You'll get the results screen.

To make it easy, just search for something that isn't in your store.
    Like "blahhaha" or some nonesense string.
    Whatever the name of the input field is that holds that value..
    that will be your google search query parameter!

Even if your store has a module like power search or some other.. you can find your query this way. (hopefully you are having a form on for re searching on your results screen).

Comment

In my top content I am seeing two sets of results for my category pages.
      1: /CTGY/CATCODE
      2: /Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CATCODE
      All the 2nd type hits are for one second or less. What is causing this?
      I’m using the code from Dan’s instructions. Thanks Dan, for providing that info!
      Matt Cotten
      Ecommerce Website Designer

Comment

Because implementing shorter URLs doesn't disable this type of link:
        /Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CATCODE

So Google can (and will) spider both. They've recently announced changes for this (i.e. shorter URLs are not necessary for new sites; not sure if I trust that yet). There's also some linking discussions here than will help.

You may want to just disallow spidering of the /Merchant2/ directory.
        Best,
        Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
        Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
        Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
        pamelahazelton.com

Comment

disabling spidering of merchant2? and lose seo and page rankings? Yikes! Don't do that! For heaven' sake. all that work down the drain and maybe never to be recovered! EEKS!

There is a better way and google provides for it. Don't use the free module for inserting your google analytics tracking. Just put in the script yourself (with the mod's Dan and I outlined so your pagetracker variables get filled).

It's part of this thread, it's the first few pages, I think on the second or third page of this thread. Dan's tutorial example is fabulous.

You can define for each page what you want the default url in google analytics to be using the page tracker variable in the google script. Then ga won't be all messed up and counting one page as two or three different ones in ga. Dan's tutorial even gives the pageTracker stuff in his code examples for products and categories.

If you want to make the 'naming' of pages in google analytics even more more extensive like I did.. you just add some more if statements. The key is not leaving the pageTracker var empty. If it's empty it grabes the current address of the screen you are on, if you fill it in.. ga uses what you defined instead.

Seriously, read through this thread, most of it isn't about using the module, it's about doing it a better way so your google analytics data is clearer and more readable. Which means NOT using the module.
          Last edited by kayakbabe; 03-16-09, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Kelly, I think he meant to not crawl /Merchant2/ if you are using short links. We do this a lot of sites that have short URL formats. That way you don't get multiple urls to the same page.
            Susan Petracco
            NetBlazon

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I'm sitting on hold (again) with tech support because of this "free" module. After about a dozen emails of course. I couldn't be more aggravated at this point if you paid me. And all I wanted to do was upgrade to the new Google code.

Comment

lisafer,

Contact me off-forum and I will give you a free Google Analytics integration for your aggravation. Hows that for paying you to integrate Google Analytics? :)

Unfortunately the available free modules do not offer the necessary flexibility to integrate Google Analytics with all of the possible Miva Merchant 5 store configurations out there. There is a tutorial here for Basic Google Analytics Integration w/ Miva Merchant 5. However if the store requires further customization to the Google Analytics tracking/conversion code due to the specific store configuration, or the tutorial is not understood, I highly recommend having Google Analytics professionally integrated by a qualified individual or organization.

Comment

Dan,
                  Thanks for your offer, but it's all good. My problem wasn't technically with the analytics module, but with upgrading to the new script and uninstalling the older version. I did get through to Laura at Miva tech support, she explain what I needed to do (priceless) and the module is installed and working perfectly from checking my test order.

Laura did give me a name at Miva to contact the support supervisor, but my daughter called with a crisis and I can't remember it. I sure wish I could let him know what a treasure she is and how she helped me after trying to deal with someone who didn't seem to want to actually answer the questions I asked.

I have been using the Google Analytics module for a while now. It wasn't really the issue. Thank you again, your offer was above and beyond.

Edit to add: Just out of curiosity, I checked out your tutorial. Very nicely done!
                  Last edited by lisafer; 04-08-09, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Laura is good people... you are in good hands :)

Comment

We know what a treasure Laura is but you can email it to Wayne Smith wsmith AT mivamerchant DOT com.
                      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                      CEO
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]
                      https://www.miva.com

Comment

That's it! Good ol' WS! Thanks Rick, you're pretty treasurlicious yourself.

Comment

What would cause my URL's to not include the "screen=OCST" and only list the session ID number?

I get the "screen=OINF" in my URL on the first page of my checkout process but once I progress past that page none of the others in the checkout process have the page code on there. Not sure what I did or if a module I have installed is blocking the page code from showing up in the URL. I have set up my goal / funnel to search for the page code and because none of the URL's have the code it is not tracking...(I am assuming). All other analytics seem to be working great.

Any help on this?

www.awindofchange.com

Thanks in advance.
                          Kent
                          www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Hello Everybody,
                            I was wondering if anybody has installation instructions for GOL Analytics module for MIVA Merchant V5. Just got the free download today, installed the module. But the instructions that came with it, not detailed enough for me, I'm just a newbee when it comes to working with Miva. I'm stuck, i know i can do it, if the instruction were in more detail.

Your help would be Greatly Appreciated
                            Thanks
                            Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Kemper Strategic View Post
                              Here are complete instructions for integrating Google Analytics with Miva Merchant 5, including the checkout goal/funnel visualization. My recommendation, chuck the module :)
                              Hi Dan,

I followed your tutorial but I'm still not getting anything in GA and its been almost two weeks. I think I did everything correctly so I'm not sure whats wrong.

www.imagescienceassociates.com

I would love to get this working for my client as soon as I can so any insight would be much appreciated.

Comment

jfazer,

Contact me off forum and we can take a look for you and see what is going on. Without seeing the specifics, it is hard to diagnose.

Comment

Working...
                                X