No announcement yet.

Gilligan's Google Analytics Module for 5/5.5 is now FREE at Miva Central

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gilligan's Google Analytics Module for 5/5.5 is now FREE at Miva Central

Bill,
    That's the point.. With the current incarnation of your module is not possible.

However, It IS possible to make ga track paypal...

Since you can insert a variable into their script to turn off referral tracking, all you need is a special landing page for those paypal payment buyers.

Basically in paypal, you set it to return the buyer to a landing page on the store and that is where the sale will get tracked. You can set paypal to send the payment and info back to the site... AND by turning off the referral.. google analytics doesn't know the person ever left the site to go make a payment.

If your module had a storemorph style template item... this would be sooooo easy to do!

I could see where your module would have both a basic and advanced mode.. just like the default templates in storemorph do.

Basic mode.. does just what it does now.

Advanced mode.. would allow you to edit the script so as to insert other advanced google analytics features. That would allow this to work quite nicely.

[by default google analytics does use referrer in tracking visits. So with the default ga.js coming from paypal looks like a seperate shopping session to google analytics. By turning off the referrer tracking... wa la.. google doesn't know you ever left becuase when you land back on the store.. the referrer isn't reset to a diff url than your own store. GA thinks you are still walking through the website as the referrer stuck into your google cookie is your own store.]
    Last edited by kayakbabe; 12-05-08, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Why does ga think it is a different shopping session? When the customer comes back to merchant they have the same session ID they had when they left to go to paypal. They return to the INVC page. You can't send them to a different landing page.
      Bill Weiland - Emporium Plus http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc
      Online Documentation http://www.emporiumplus.com/tk3/v3/doc.htm
      Question http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS
      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EmporiumPlus
      Twitter http://twitter.com/emporiumplus

Comment

We have created a new tutorial for basic Google Analytics Integration with Miva Merchant 5/5.5. This tutorial includes example code (no module required), e-commerce conversion tracking, on-site search tracking and instructions for setting up a checkout goal/funnel.

We hope some will find this useful :)

Comment

I will try to explain again differently.

Normally google will treat it like a separate visit if the person comes to the site again from a 'new' place.

so if the person leaves your site to pay on a different site.. you'll see one shopping session with no purchase and then 1 shopping session WITH a purchase.

If you tell google to not use that default feature, referrer tracking.. then google won't know the person and left and came back, because there is no data about where they came.

so when they come back.. it will look like a continuation of the same shopping session.

Basically it's a way to "trick" google analytics.

Comment

Hey... there is a another thread about some advanced google analytics and site search tracking that is pretty good.

Here is how I implemented it for my sample code that I posted in this thread.

http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...49&postcount=9

the whole thread is here
            http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...=google+search

Comment

Bill,
              Regarding sending them back to the INVC Page:
              Yes you can have a different INVC page.
              You can dupe the INVC page using storemorph.
              Just copy it and name it something like INVC2.
              And in the global footer... alter the ga.js script .

Then in paypal instead of redirecting them to your INVC page, have paypal send them to INVC2.

A THOUGHT..
              If you only use paypal.. go ahead and use the INVC page.
              If you use multiple payment systems, then make a INVC2 page for paypal landing.
              Last edited by kayakbabe; 12-08-08, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Elocal is running a pay per click for us and asked us to include the following code

Google Analytics Code: Needs to be put on every page of the website just before the </body>
                <script type="text/javascript">
                var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
                document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
                </script>
                <script type="text/javascript">
                try {
                var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-6320464-3");
                pageTracker._trackPageview();
                } catch(err) {}</script>
                I can't figgure out where to put it.
                Should I use Gilligan's module instead?
                If i should insert the code where should I put it?
                Thanks,
                jkilday3

Comment

In the code that you're supposed to append to the global footer there is this script:

<mvt:if expr="Screen NE INVC">

Yet, the code below it is still displayed on the INVC page.

Any idea why this isn't working the way it's supposed to? (It's not recognizing that it's on the invoice page.)

Also, I'd be thrilled if someone was willing to post their complete steps for setting up the funnel conversion tracking BOTH in the Google Analytics admin goal screen AND on the Miva site. For some reason I can't get that part to work.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamintr View Post
                    <mvt:if expr="Screen NE INVC">
                    try <mvt:if expr="Screen NE 'INVC'">

Comment

Here are complete instructions for integrating Google Analytics with Miva Merchant 5, including the checkout goal/funnel visualization. My recommendation, chuck the module :)
                      Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 12-11-08, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Kemper Strategic View Post
                        Here are complete instructions for integrating Google Analytics with Miva Merchant 5, including the checkout goal/funnel visualization. My recommendation, chuck the module :)
                        Cool! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks to Dan's with Kemper Strategic "How to integrate Google Analytics with Miva Merchant 5 - 5.5" tutorial, I was able to successfully configure most of Google Analytics (GA). However, I am still having some difficulty in implementing/configuring Google Analytics "Site Search" feature.

There seems to be more than one way to setup GA Site Search with MM5.5.

1. One method is as Dan suggested in his tutorial -which is not working for us, the other is
                          2. This post " What to put in the search query in google analytics"

It seems the later requires a two part configuration from each side (MM5.5 and GA) in order to get GA Site Search to work. Because I am so new to MM5.5, I cannot help being very confused. It appears to me from what I am able to understand from that post, is that I need to pass some type of value from our website to GA in order to get Site Search to work. But I don't really understand what I need to do. Can someone please provide more detailed information?

Finally, I think since Miva is providing this module for free, and they are probably using GA on their own sites, they could at least provide some screen shots of how they configured their account with a brief expalantion.
                          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Hey Bill,

Are you using an alternative search feature by chance, or the built in Miva Merchant search functionality? Our method should be working for you, however we have seen up to week long delays before stats start populating if this is the first time on-site search has been enabled on the account.

If you continue to have issues, contact me directly and I will take a look for you.

Comment

Actually its was activated a few days ago, so maybe I should wait. I guess I should wait a few more days, if nothing shows up I come right back here.

Thanks Dan.
                              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Bill,

Give it a few more days and I will bet it starts tracking. Let me know :)

Comment

Working...
                                X